Golf book recomendations

• Thread starter Deleted member 25575
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25575

Just a quick question, I'm looking for recomendations for books about golf, be they instructional, autobiographical, architectural, or anything else.

So if you've read something and would recommend, please do so.
Thanks in advance

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For insights into the pro game the trio of A Good Walk Spoiled, the Majors and Moment of Glory, all by John Feinstein, are excellent. AGWS and the Majors are both fascinating even though they are nearly 30 and 20 years old respectively. I've read AGWS 4 or 5 times and will read it again soon; it is that good.

Also of the same nature is The Scorecard Always Lies by Chris Lewis. Again, quite an old book (circa 2007) but an interesting insight.

The Last Stand of Payne Stewart by Kevin Robbins is also worth a read, albeit the chapter on his death is a difficult read.

Carlwm

Visit site
I really enjoyed Preferred Lies by Andrew Greig (2007).

After a brush with death, the author, reacquaints himself with golf after a three decade break and spends a season playing eighteen different Scottish courses, from free public ones to St Andrews (old Course). It's part autobiography, part sports book and part meditation on the meaning of life itself and it's written with such a lightness of touch, it never becomes pretentious nor precious. I heartily recommend it!

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect is a book that really helped my mental attitude on the course and stopped my losing my rag as much, ultimately enjoying the game more and playing better as a result.

Currently reading Commander in Cheat, which is a humorous telling of all the ways Donald Trump cheats on the golf course, cheats in the media to get people to his courses, the lies he tells, you name it. It's hard to believe just how bad he is, but it's hilarious.

evemccc

Visit site
I WANT to read Tom Doak’s Confidential Guide to GB&I

I have Anatomy, and it’s pretty good but really want the one above….not keen on paying £90 or so which is what I often see if listed for..

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Caddy for Life by John Feinstein. The story of the life & death of Bruce Edwards, Tom Watson's long time caddie. Very entertaining, with the obvious caveat that the final chapters are a little tough.

FredThursday

Visit site
Into the Bear Pit (Mark James recollection of the 1999 Ryder Cup at Brookline) It‘s the best golf book I’ve read. His thoughts on Jacklin and Faldo make for an interesting read.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dream golf is one of my favourites as well as tales from q school.

Architecture books wise. Anatomy of a golf course is good one to get started. Some Essays on Golf-Course Architecture, the spirit of St Andrews, Golf Architecture in America: Its Strategy and Construction are a few others.

Good link here https://evalu18.com/golf-architecture-books/ to more architecture ones if you get hooked on it like I have.

Grizzly

Visit site
Carl Hiassen - Downhill lie (A hacker's return...)

Funny, warm, relatable. I lost my father just before I read it. I was transposing golf for cricket, but the passages that related to his Dad really got me. Then I read it again three years later, and loved it more.