Golf and the UK Climate

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now wheras it's fair to say that our climate is quite safe compared to more volatile and destructive weather systems around the world, that's about were the good news ends.

I seem to spend nearly every golfing day looking out the window waiting for the (never too far distant) rain clouds to show up.

And the so-called weather experts don't hep either. Yesterday's "light cloud but dry forecast" manifested itself as torrential intermittent downpours soaking us through twice when playing.

Today I had been really looking forward to a game with 3 fellow forumers but in view of the hellfire, pestilence and damnation predictions courtesy of The Met Office we shelved it for another day. Needless to say there has been no sign of the end of the world so far and if anything the day seems to be improving.

Oh to be 1000 miles more southerly. Spain would be perfect.

Yes I know it's great here when we do get good weather, but that happens nowhere near often enough and this Summer has been naff with little in the way of predictable or lengthy good weather.

Harrumph!!!

PS I know it's futile to complain about Mother Nature's whims, but eee by gum lad, she doesn't half wind me up sometimes😄

D

Deleted member 15344

We are an island the weather will be up and down - I have had one day at Hoylake disrupted by the weather - the other days I have an umbrella and waterproofs

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know folk who prefer to play in the rain. I'm a fairweather everything person. It's just more enjoyable to do things in nice weather, apart from work. In the South of France a couple of weeks ago, and I'd rather have that weather, but not the biting Tiger Mosquitos or the massive hornets that made a bee-line for new flesh. 28 bites I had on my legs and ended up with anti-biotics. Swings and roundabouts with different countries. We have a good mix sometimes, but this year was a wash out.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I never believe a forecast until the night before. Then if it is forecasting anything other than high pressure and sun I look at www.raintoday.co.uk. If you follow the animation (last 2 hours) you can usually have a very good idea what's on it's way and also how long a band of rain will take to clear. Not that I'm averse to the odd shower but forewarned is forearmed etc. Also, have sometimes spent a nice couple of hours in the clubhouse with a nice pint and watching the football when my mates have gone out and got a complete soaking.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Re the OP, outside the UK I still check out the forecast ahead of every game to see if it’ll rain the only difference is the temperature

Will it be cold, wet & windy has turned into ‘ok it’s hot but will it also be wet & windy’

The course can get waterlogged after 30 minutes rain but also drain to playable in an hour rather than a day. But I reckon I’ve lost about 4 games to really bad weather in the last few years with a couple more cancelled mid-round and that’s not too different to my last years in the UK

Where it really does change is the playing condition of the course itself re fairways & greens immediately after bad weather, the temp just makes recovery of the playing surface that much quicker

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I cant really remember many times over the last 9 months where I havent been able to get out at the weekend.
Its been great this year.

Play golf in Costa Del yorkshire

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I enjoy the differing weather. It provides a challenge. One of my most enjoyable rounds was a couple of years ago at Winter Hill near Maidenhead when there were squally showers and 30mph winds. I played the front nine in 8 or 9 over par (not bad as i was off of 17) and genuinely felt chuffed cos of scoring well in the bad weather and because i had been able to play some different style shots.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would imagine we may have reached the turn round about when this radar picture was taken. Hosing it down in Berks.

Gentlemen, we appear to have made a wise decision.

image.jpg

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am in Boston on business at present. The weather here is hot and humid in the summer, nice in May, Sept (although it was over 30C last week) and October and Baltic from November through to April. Same for most of the north east and mid-west of the US.

Now, California, on the other hand ......

DCB

Visit site
Wall to wall blue sky today up here in sunny Edinburgh. Ideal conditions for a round of golf, sunny, very little breeze and around 17-18°C today :D