Gleneagles

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bit of a disappointment at The Kings today. Course closed due to snow!

5TemHjl.jpg

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
A guy with whom I used to work played Gleneagles once and said it was beautiful. Also, not as hard as the courses we see on TV like Troon, Muirfield, etc.

I took too may vacations in Las Vegas, contributing to the Nevada economy, when I could have done other things.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A bit of a disappointment at The Kings today. Course closed due to snow!

5TemHjl.jpg
Would you rather have played? I wonder what the condition is like in winter. I'm playing in April and looking forward to it. Pals played in October and said the condition wasn't as good as it should have been. Solheim might has been part of that.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A guy with whom I used to work played Gleneagles once and said it was beautiful. Also, not as hard as the courses we see on TV like Troon, Muirfield, etc.

I took too may vacations in Las Vegas, contributing to the Nevada economy, when I could have done other things.

Las Vegas, don't see the attraction myself. I'm not a fan of gambling though.
Much rather go back to San Fran, LA, San Diego and drive the Pacific Coast Highway.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would you rather have played? I wonder what the condition is like in winter. I'm playing in April and looking forward to it. Pals played in October and said the condition wasn't as good as it should have been. Solheim might has been part of that.
I played the Kings course last April and it was an absolute joy, a real pleasure. I'm back there this April, the one small benefit of a birthday with an 0 at the end ??, to play the other two and hugely looking forward to it.

If a golfer doesn't enjoy playing there then I think they need a new hobby.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Very surprised about that, last time I played the Kings it looked as though it had been hoovered, absolutely immaculate condition and presentation. Queens Course, which is the last course I played at Gleneagles was also tip top and that was also October time.

Freewaytom

Visit site
I was very tempted by the Mizuno golf pairs offer for Gleneagles this April, all 3 courses and 2 nights B&B for £700... looks like great value compared to direct!

I was fortunate enough to go to the Solheim cup and play the kings on the Sunday (mate won a competition) and the whole place and experience was phenomenal, I've been itching to go back since!

we played auchterarder too, which was a great course for a warm up at a fraction of gleneagles prices.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Kings has been closed for a few months now for maintenance but both The PGA & The Queens have been opened for play and to be honest for the time off year both course have been fine considering the weather. Not looking good for tomorrow up there but hopefully the competition on the PGA for Sunday will be fine.

I wouldn't liked to have played in I the current condition today.

fade_away

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lucky to have played/stayed and Gleneagles a few times and Kings course is superb, quirky but brilliant. Queens a little easier but still magnificent. PGA good but a slog. Even the par three course is good fun and worth a play.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Lucky to have played/stayed and Gleneagles a few times and Kings course is superb, quirky but brilliant. Queens a little easier but still magnificent. PGA good but a slog. Even the par three course is good fun and worth a play.

I agree, I played the PGA a little before the Ryder Cup and the next day the Kings with one of the teaching pro's. I rate the Kings as one of the best courses I've played and the PGA as very good

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The photo looking up the 1st takes me back - long time back...

I've played Gleneagles courses only the once - back around 1981/82 I'm thinking.

Me and my mate Duncan decided we'd go up to Gleneagles very early one Saturday - just for a change from our own tracks - we'd been advised speaking with the course the previous day to turn up for when the doors opened - so we arrived from Glasgow at the crack of dawn. We got a morning round on the Prince's and afternoon round on the King's (and I am sure that my memory does not deceive me on this) for £13 (bearing in mind we were pretty skint students it couldn't have been very expensive - and wasn't)

The courses were quiet and me and Dunc had a cracking day.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Only because it's in Scotland and I'd want to play it in glorious summertime. I'd hate to go and it be boggy or freezing.
good luck with that then even in those months:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, but you are right though i pref to go to places when the courses are in there best condition, esp as its a one off