Getting stuck

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sounds silly I know.

Since my last series of lessons, I've hit the ball probably the best I have since I took up the game.

I the only issue I have, and it's only with the driver, comes from getting the club stuck behind me in the downswing.

I can feel myself rotating but my arms are stuck behind me and I struggle to get the club out in front of me.

This usually results in either a massive block to the right, or a low smother hook off to the left.

Any tips or drills to help with the above would be appreciated :thup:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Difficult to tell without seeing a video of the swing

The most recent one I have Bob is from February this year and with a 6 iron.

[video=youtube;ZwZtUsumS2Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwZtUsumS2Y[/video]

I'll try and get something filmed with the driver the next time I'm down there.

Edit: Slow Mo Video - Forward to 0.48 seconds.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If it's the TW 'stuck' condition - with possible 2-way miss - you could try the PSR that he, M-A Jiminez, Bernhard Langer and a some of others have used - madly out-to-in practice swings. This sets the 'anti stuck' feeling!

Getting stuck is normally a consequence of the right shoulder dropping too much - eg. an out-of-kilter sequencing or trying to swing too hard.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Suffer from this all to frequently too.. I usually try to rectify it by ensuring I clear my left side a bit quicker. This allows me to drive through the shot unimpeded and release nicely. Keep your spine angle intact and you should whistle through the ball perfectly.

Interested in folks views on this issue as it's a nasty little recurring habit of mine...

D

Deleted member 1147

This is why I pause (or try to) at the top of my swing. It means i have time for my body to catch up, before starting the downswing. Otherwise I tend to start on the way down before my body has finished, and my hands don't catch up, leading to the block (or, by getting hands'y, the hook).

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Looks a little flat, causing a chicken wing and the need to cast it out to bring it back around. If you took that back swing to horizontal it looks like you'll be across the line... please note, all advice is given from a point of no knowledge...

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Looks a little flat, causing a chicken wing and the need to cast it out to bring it back around. If you took that back swing to horizontal it looks like you'll be across the line... please note, all advice is given from a point of no knowledge...

Very flat but no chicken wing pal.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gareth, the part you need to stop it at is 0.53, think this is where the problem is. It looks like your not hinging/cocking your wrists at that point and you keep rotating which puts the shaft into a flat plane 0.54. If at 0.53 you hinged/cocked your wrist it would put the shaft a little steeper and a better position at the top.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
thing it would be real beneficial and get most bang for the buck -

to aid not being always having the tendency to be a ways stuck behind
so currently in the swing motion when in the downswing gets tad arms (trail elbow/arm especially) behind the torso turn so the shaft then from below hip height is a tad too much 'under the plane' coming from inside it's either then when 'stuck for real' goin to block out rightfield or force an instinct from the motion to standup more and flip roll the face closure real quick and the smother duck hook or hookville of some kind flavor

- to look at how the trail arm moves takeback to backswing to atop the swing, so the trail elbow is not then too far behind the body line so becomes then 'up and away' pointing back high over the heel line in the transition move and a then ways behind the body, hands and handle a good ways back of the sternum/center chest - real difficult from there not to be stuck

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
- to look at how the trail arm moves takeback to backswing to atop the swing, so the trail elbow is not then too far behind the body line

ok realize this is a high level am with a high level swing motion, this posted not because all folks or the OP are goin to swing in this identical pattern of swing motion
{but for those folks maybes interested there's still a bunch of good stuff to take from the vid here}

with that said - if the hands/wrist at a more optimum point in the takeback (ie not setting straightways and flatter to put the shaft under, in and behind)

the arms, & hands set instead working more with the upper body rotation then there is less danger of being club and arms a ways to far 'behind' the turn atop the swing so helping to eliminate a little ways easier the not 'gettin stuck behind' halfways back down to impact

in a swing motion, to help produce speed, the hips and upper body need to rotate after the initial weight pressure to lower lead side

but if because of the takeback the arms/club are a ways too far behind at the top - if the hips and body then rotate after weight pressure to lead side the arms/club are either goin to be too far behind the rotation after the lateral hip move so 'stuck'
or the arms/club and trail shoulder gets thrown out & over straightways from transition then out to in through impact
or the arms/club and trail shoulder initially move out at transition followed by a tilt backwards of the trail shoulder & upper body to prevent the out & over, but the tilt back then leads to 'gettin stuck behind'

the 'feel' motion move in the vid with the lead hand placed behind trail arm elbow linked with the upper body rotation and a little ways more vertical 'set' of lead hand with tad of trail hand hinge-back in the takeback move is a great ways to experience both a more 'connected' takeback and backswing where the arms and trail elbow does not get too far behind the body line atop which allows then the hips and body to move, rotate with speed with the structure of the hands/arms and club not either stuck or thrown out & over

[video=youtube;PebKiDW_vVw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PebKiDW_vVw[/video]