Generic lithium batteries for trolleys

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
A rare non-virus, loosely related to golf thread...

Am after any experiences good or bad on the various batteries you can buy that aren't the same as the trolley manufacturer.

The trolley is actually a powerkaddy fw5 if that is useful info.

Thanks in advance.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've used both Lite Power and Liberty batteries on my Motocaddy trolley. They are both "brick shaped" and so the wrong shape for the trolley - but they sit on the battery shelf ready enough and they have been fine for years..

Depending on the battery you buy, you may need a "TBar" adaptor to plug it into the trolley.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got a lite power one on my motorcaddy, cost about £130 and is 36 hole 22A. It's brilliant, did 3 rounds with hedgehog wheels on in the boggy conditions to test it one time and still no sign of it going flat. You just need a bit of wood to take the space up, mines wrapped in black gaffer tape so it blends in!

BubbaP

Visit site
We've both used cheaper batteries from Ebay on our Motocaddy's and they've been 100% reliable.
Thanks Amanda, appreciate you won't be using them for a while, think you had a bit of a break pre lockdown, but should you be in the vicinity I'd be keen to know which makes they are.

BubbaP

Visit site
I got one from Powerhouse Golf. Miles cheaper and still good after 4 years...
Thanks. They look to be a little more thathe real budget ones these days, but 4 years is +ve.
Part of me thinks just go budget as I might end up finding a leccy trolley isn't for me. The other is probably a decent chance the battery may outlast the (used) trolley so spend some more.

BubbaP

Visit site
I've used both Lite Power and Liberty batteries on my Motocaddy trolley. They are both "brick shaped" and so the wrong shape for the trolley - but they sit on the battery shelf ready enough and they have been fine for years..

Depending on the battery you buy, you may need a "TBar" adaptor to plug it into the trolley.
Thanks, I'd been looking at liberty.

I think I'd need to buy a plug n play conversion kit like this
https://www.golfonline.co.uk/powakaddy-extended-plug-play-conversion-kit
Or bodge something.

Spending on the kit would take away some advantage of not just buying the powerkaddy battery & charger.

BubbaP

Visit site
I've got a lite power one on my motorcaddy, cost about £130 and is 36 hole 22A. It's brilliant, did 3 rounds with hedgehog wheels on in the boggy conditions to test it one time and still no sign of it going flat. You just need a bit of wood to take the space up, mines wrapped in black gaffer tape so it blends in!
Great recommendation and price, was that a pre-owned one?
Liking the ingenuity!

That is another debate, just go 18-27, or for the 36 hole option.

Good job I've plenty of time to pass!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks, I'd been looking at liberty.

I think I'd need to buy a plug n play conversion kit like this
https://www.golfonline.co.uk/powakaddy-extended-plug-play-conversion-kit
Or bodge something.

Spending on the kit would take away some advantage of not just buying the powerkaddy battery & charger.
You shouldn't need one of those (I dont think) but it does depend on how the actual connection works on a Powakaddy trolley. I used to use (& still do on my motocaddy) a " T Bar to Torberry connector". But it's quite a while since I had a Powakaddy trolley so things may have changed

(Ps : I have been unable to copy a link, but if you just Google "T Bar Torberry" you should find what I'm referring to)

BubbaP

Visit site
Thanks to all the replies
Should anyone stumble across this in future, I bought a plug n play conversion kit (a tray & a cable), and a lightly used 36 hole lithium battery (golf workshop) from a forummer.
Have done a few laps of the drive, just need to wait & see if have a chance to use properly before we are back to carrying.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
does anyone have a gokart and have an alternative lithium idea?
I have had a LitePower lithium on my GoKart for nearly 6 years now.
But I had to fit a wooden support bar and a tie rap to hold it in place. Also drill a 20mm hole in the side of the battery carrier case to enable access to the charging point.
BTW I already had the battery left over from another trolley, or I would've just bought one to suit the gokart.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
does anyone have a gokart and have an alternative lithium idea?
I bought one for my GoKart on eBay a few years ago and it was physically the same as the standard 18 hope leaf acid battery.
I've looked since and they don't seem to do it anymore. I've had no issues with it.
If I can find some info on it I'll let you know.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst there are different types of lithium batteries, as long as it comes with it's own charger (which it should) , is physically the same size and has the correct lead for connection(can be changed) any battery will do:)