Gel Pad Handwarmers

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thought I would buy some of these and see if they might be any use on the course;

http://www.millets.co.uk/Walking-Kit/Wal...uct/115513.aspx

at that price and the fact that they are re-newable I thought it might be a cheaper way to keep the hands warm. I can't deny the gadget head in me wanted to find out if it actually worked properly.

The answer to that is a firm yes. The little metal disk inside seems to snap easily and then the most remarkable change happens before ones eyes.

Maybe i'm easily impressed but the pack starts warming up almost immediately and then proceeds to turn to solid after going through a brief 'Slushpuppy' stage.

The pack is reactivated simply by boiling in water for fifteen minutes and allowing to cool (or whack it in the fridge).

Downside - only last 15 to 20 minutes so of limited use on a golf course :(

Having bought them though they will form part of the winter kit for emergencies.

bill

NOTE: I am neither a shareholder, employee or director of Eurohike nor Millets and I bought this product with my own money and pass my subjective views on in good faith only.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the length that they last is an issue, you can get handwarmers with a charcoal stick in them or ones that run on lighter fuel that last longer.

Always tend to have a few hand warmers sitting around for emergencies.

daveyboy17

Assistant Pro
Visit site
charcoal stick is the one did you know Ben hogan used to put his ball up against a handwarmer a couple of hours before he teed off coz a warm ball flies further to intimidate his oppenents on the first tee shot ..... cheeky bugger!!!!!

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
did you know Ben hogan used to put his ball up against a handwarmer a couple of hours before he teed off coz a warm ball flies further to intimidate his oppenents on the first tee shot ..... cheeky bugger!!!!!
His ball or balls? Anyway, Palmer's wife admitted on TV that she always kissed Arnie's (balls) before an important round.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Gloves would seem simpler.

Have you ever tried fishing a pencil or a pitch mark repair tool out of your back pocket with winter gloves on B? Like trying to apple bob with your mouth closed in terms of difficulty. The lining of your pocket always seems to get dragged back out and the remaining contents get purged all over the grass.

GB- yep , bought my lady a charcoal fuel rod handwarmer for valenties day (the art of romance not being lost on me - ahem). Still, she got me a coffee mug with 'Pea brain' written on it and a little smiley green cartoon plant in return. Bless.

:D

(feel free to vomit loudly and copiously at will) :(

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have never needed a hand warmer before, I tried one a few years back (the charcoal burner type) and to be honest ive found that having just a couple of tees or coins in my pocket does the same job. Im using an MD carrybag as of today and having double straps it means I can walk along with my hands firmly in my pockets, by rummaging with the tees/coins my hands are kept toasty.. I think it is due to encouraging bloodflow through the fingers.

teetime72

Head Pro
Visit site
The pound shop(most towns have one)sell hand warmers,four in a pack use once and throw away,really warm last four five hours price £1(or was that obvious)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You big load of jessies. When I was a youngster I'd have to walk uphill (honestly this is not a wind up) in December leaving around 6.00am every day of the week to open the pro shop for 7.30 even with temperatures of around -4. I'd also have to carry my golf holdall with my kit (no room in my locker).

Sometimes in winter I'd be able to get on the putting green first thing. No hand warmers for me just a putting session with the walk from hole to hole to keep me warm

However once back inside the shop it was kettle on and electrci heater turned way up.

These days I use the big winter mitts. If I want something like a pitch mark repairer I tend to get this out just as I'm putting them on and leaving them in the mitt until I get to the green.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You big load of jessies. When I was a youngster I'd have to walk uphill (honestly this is not a wind up) in December leaving around 6.00am every day of the week to open the pro shop for 7.30 even with temperatures of around -4. I'd also have to carry my golf holdall with my kit (no room in my locker).

Sometimes in winter I'd be able to get on the putting green first thing. No hand warmers for me just a putting session with the walk from hole to hole to keep me warm

However once back inside the shop it was kettle on and electrci heater turned way up.

These days I use the big winter mitts. If I want something like a pitch mark repairer I tend to get this out just as I'm putting them on and leaving them in the mitt until I get to the green.
Brilliant, Homer. Monty Python couldn't have put it better! :D

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Was it the niblick or the mashie propping the shop door closed on such days? ;)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Despite the fact that I have a big bag I do not have room for a kettle and electric heater so have to make do with the odd hand warmer.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Trust me you needed a kettle and heater in that pro shop. Single glazed, small and pokey. Nothing to do for hours on end except stock take, hoovering and reading the pro's hidden stash of Fiesta mags

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No. You have to remember though this was 82/83 and when you are alone and you've just heard Zoom by Fat larry's band for the 14th time that day on the radio the sexual exploits of Deidre from Dagenham actually become intersting.

Have to say I thought Playboy was over rated btw. As a 15-16 year old there had always been an aura and mystique about that particular magazine but it didn't titilate me much. Very good articles though on caravanning!!

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No. You have to remember though this was 82/83 and when you are alone and you've just heard Zoom by Fat larry's band for the 14th time that day on the radio the sexual exploits of Deidre from Dagenham actually become intersting.

Have to say I thought Playboy was over rated btw. As a 15-16 year old there had always been an aura and mystique about that particular magazine but it didn't titilate me much. Very good articles though on caravanning!!

Ha! Was that the one that went, 'zoooooooom ...and all the birds came out to play- and theyayen'?

Would have thought the Byrds were well past all that by then and had moved onto filling stadiums and drinking quite a lot but in the crazy world of rock and roll- who knows

:D

I was playing air guitar to early Metallica or Motorhead around that time (and still am as the mood fits)

Still, Deidre from Dagenham is probably someone's grandmother now...(in Dagenham possibly) so maybe we shouldn't take her name in vein

Ah the 80's - don't you just feel an almost complete sense of....total indifference to it?

bill

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
First gig I ever went to was Metallica at the Brixton Academy on the Damaged Justice Tour supported by Danzig. Still one of the best I have been to.