gear effect

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Finally fallen down the rabbit hole or light at the end of the tunnel?

I just stumbled upon this last week in an attempt to find less spin on my drives. When I look at my driver face I can see that its peppered right in the middle of the face but also quite low on it. Tell tale sign that I will impart too much spin. I then watched this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT4YLKgjoQY#t=250

I took this info to the range and since the balls were soaking I could easily see where I was making impact. It wasn't that difficult to hit it a little further up the face and slightly out of the toe.

I ventured to the course on Saturday and kept this in mind. I hit some lovely drives which seemed to have a lot less spin. I very rarely get run normally but on one occasion called before I hit that ill try and get some run on this. Sure enough I got a ton of run which surprised me on a soft turf.

So it turns out that hitting ever so slightly out of the toe for driver and woods will impart that draw spin I like. I really wish I had stumbled upon this sooner. Searching the board there are numerous references to it. here is a little reading on it for those interested.

http://www.golfclub-technology.com/gear-effect.html

Looking forward to having some fun with this over the coming weeks and months. :thup:

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
BOOOOOM went brendys head...after 30 seconds.:D I'll stick to Stand up, arse out, shoulders back and welly it. That works pretty well these days.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If you are skilled enough to take advantage of it, then you never needed to use it in the first place! It's just that your apparently bad strikes will not turn out as bad as you might expect! Another example where a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!

Just keep trying to hit the sweet spot! That's where the ball goes best from. Anywhere else you will be losing more from the 'off-centre' strike than any forgiveness mechanism gives you!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can see the benefit of teeing up a little higher to take advantage of the gear effect to drop some backspin (manufacturers have been saying this for years as far as I know), but I'm not brave enough to intentionally try to hit slightly out of the toe.

I read somewhere that TW deliberately hits slightly out of the heel for his low cut shot. No idea if that's true or not.