Gas hob not staying alight

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some of the hobs on our range aren't staying lit once fired up, happens to be the ones we use the most ?
Can get rings to ignite by holding in the control, sometime they go out once this is realeased and sometimes the stay on only to go out when you place a pan on them.
Others are fine.
From my limited knowledge and search suggests something to do with a thermocouple ?

Any other suggestions and is this something you could tackle DIY ?

Ta.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Could just be one or more of the rings/burners aren't seated correctly after its been cleaned and blocking the flow, just 2 seconds to reseat them
(annoys me when the Maid cleans the oven top & does this)

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could just be one or more of the rings/burners aren't seated correctly after its been cleaned and blocking the flow, just 2 seconds to reseat them

Tried that, flow and flames are fine, just keep cutting out which suggests to me something is causing the flow to stop.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Probably be wise to get your range serviced by a qualified fitter.

Had a similar problem with mine 2 burners wouldn’t ignite I ordered a new timer and got someone qualified to do it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Every burner has a little heat sensor which sits in the flame. If this is not working the gas cuts out. Sometimes it is simply a case the sensor it is not sitting in the flame. Hence it works when a pan is on the burner and the flame get directed towards the sensor.

Some burners have a separate jet which aims/goes directly on to the sensor. This jet can get blocked. In the dim dark ages you used to be able to buy jet prickers (very fine wire on a holder) to ensure the jet was not blocked. Ultra fine needle would probably do the job.

Last edited:

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Best get the Butler to sort it....

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's just the sparky thing and a thermocouple, I've tried swapping a few things around but still the same, guess it's time to find an expert don't want to be eating microwave Xmas dinner ☹️

D

Deleted member 1740

It will either be a faulty thermocouple or a faulty solenoid on the gas tap.

Call a gas safe registered installer.

It may work out better to buy a new hob as opposed to buying the part and paying the labour charges to strip down and repair. Its a time consuming ballache of a job in all honesty.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It will either be a faulty thermocouple or a faulty solenoid on the gas tap.

Call a gas safe registered installer.

It may work out better to buy a new hob as opposed to buying the part and paying the labour charges to strip down and repair. Its a time consuming ballache of a job in all honesty.
He said it's a range.....so lots of money to replace and that's if you can get one right now;)
I would get an engineer in to sort it, either an independant or the manufacturer services.

D

Deleted member 1740

He said it's a range.....so lots of money to replace and that's if you can get one right now;)
I would get an engineer in to sort it, either an independant or the manufacturer services.

Ah i read the initial thread title "Gas Hob" and assumed he had a hob?‍♂️