Garmin S10 v Bushnell Excel v ...?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Might be looking for a new golf watch if I can't fix the charging issues with the current S2. I'm looking for a fairly basic watch; don't need to be able to read emails or get texts or pay anyone, a fairly basic front, middle & back will suffice. Struggling to read the S2 in poor light, so a clearer display would be useful.

Any S10 or Excel users who can point me to the pros & cons of their particular model, or any other models around the £120 mark worth considering?

Thanks for your responses.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have an S10 pal.

It’s perfect for my needs (same as yours), is VERY easy to navigate and best of all, is so comfy you forget you are wearing it.

Can’t go wrong with it IMO.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
After the non-replaceable strap on my Garmin S1 broke in a third place, I decided to give up stitching it back together and get a new GPS watch that had a replaceable strap.

The S10 seemed an obvious inexpensive option. It has a replaceable strap, after all. But wait! That strap might be replaceable, but only with a proprietory Garmin strap at about 25 quid :eek:

I ended up with a Bushnell Neo Ion2. It does the job and it looks like a standard watch strap will fit if the original breaks. The display is a bit rudimentary with a blocky font, but it provides the required info. Also comes with free access to a smartphone app that gives detailed hole layouts.

One other thing that I never checked: does the S10 have worldwide courses? My old S1 didn't have American courses, so it was useless when I went to Florida. The Busnell has worldwide courses.

The only other GPS watch in the same price range seems to be the Shot Scope v2, and it appears to come with a load of clever trickery, but I didn't really want to get involved in all that sort of stuff.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I have the Bushnell watch and it does everything I need in terms of Front, Middle and Back of the green, hazards on the fairway, auto tee-off time start, distance and steps, etc. The strap on the newer models can be replaced with any conventional strap. Over 30,000 courses, downloadable and updatable from the website. And waterproof enough to stand anything the Scottish weather can throw at it. Overall I'm very happy with it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have an S10 pal.

It’s perfect for my needs (same as yours), is VERY easy to navigate and best of all, is so comfy you forget you are wearing it.

Can’t go wrong with it IMO.
I am going to get a new watch for my son for Christmas, he previously had an S1. This looks as though it ticks the box but one thing I would like to check, if the strap breaks can it be replaced? It broke on his S1 and that could not be fixed. I don't want him to be stuck again.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am going to get a new watch for my son for Christmas, he previously had an S1. This looks as though it ticks the box but one thing I would like to check, if the strap breaks can it be replaced? It broke on his S1 and that could not be fixed. I don't want him to be stuck again.

Had a quick nosy and found this which indicates they should be replaceable

Also there are plenty of replacement straps on Amazon et al so I’d say you are covered pal.

Fabia999

Visit site
I have no experience with bushnell excel v but I have a garmin S10 and it does exactly what you need. gives you front middle and back and battery life is excellent. its currently on the amazon prime day for £95.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no experience with bushnell excel v but I have a garmin S10 and it does exactly what you need. gives you front middle and back and battery life is excellent. its currently on the amazon prime day for £95.
Cheers thanks. Yes, I had picked up the Amazon offer, hence the question. Good to hear another happy user.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a quick nosy and found this which indicates they should be replaceable

Also there are plenty of replacement straps on Amazon et al so I’d say you are covered pal.
It's weird because on Amazon people are saying the strap is non replaceable but this video is from Garmin themselves and shows how to do it. Also, why would there be replacement straps to buy if they could not be changed?

I will get one, it will come tomorrow and if the strap is different for some reason I can always send it back. I suspect people are just being dim though.

Cheers

Fabia999

Visit site
Cheers thanks. Yes, I had picked up the Amazon offer, hence the question. Good to hear another happy user.

Doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the more expensive ones have (bunker placements etc), but if you want some numbers to aim for I can't complain about the s10. Battery probably lasts me 2.5/3 rounds and I leave it on for time inbetween rounds.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The S10 has a replaceable strap, but the strap is a non-standard fitting. I've not seen replacement S10 straps available for less than £20 or so.
As far as I can see, you can replace the strap on a Bushnell with a standard watch strap.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got an Apple Watch for my birthday last week. Road testing it tomorrow with the Hole 19 app. If I'm happy with it, my perfectly functioning S2 will be going up in the For Sale forum for a very reasonable price ...