gap wedge to sw distances

philsh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello, I haven't been on for a few weeks as had a fair few lessons and doing well in fact really well :) I've bought a 52degree taylor made atv wedge and it only goes about 8yards less than my current 56degree SW wedge. Is that gap about right? I've noticed I can get the ball to stop better on the green and its excellent for chip and runs so I'm pleased with it in that respect.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've bought a 52degree taylor made atv wedge and it only goes about 8yards less than my current 56degree SW wedge. Is that gap about right?

if it's what you get then it's right......but have you got the numbers the wrong way round? mine goes 10 yards more than my sandwedge (56) but it's not the same make, shape etc so there are always other factors involved.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
With the same swing, a 52* should go slightly FURTHER than the 56* SW! Could well be an 'issue' between the D11s and the TM ATV (what a stupid name btw!). I don't use my SW for shots off the fairway (I prefer low bounce) so use PW, GW and LW for the finesse shots. SW is for out of sand or long rough.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the DI 11's have a SW at 55* so the 52* is only 3 degrees away so 8 yards may be around right (i think its 3 yards per degree diff)
My 51 to 56 gives me a 15 yard gap.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
your gap should go further than your sw, different shafts and materials can make a difference, i noticed that my mizuno 52 deg went about 105, but my vokey would go 110-115, same shaft, so i bought a 50 deg mizuno and it goes 110-115, my sw is 56 and it goes 95-100 which works for me. I dont like to step on my wedges, prefer smooth swings, half swings etc.

philsh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry I got it the wrong way round the gap wedge goes a little further. I've found its better off the fairway the gap wedge, don't know if thats because of the bounce etc. I'm thinking of swapping the sw for a 58 you guys reckon that could be a good move? Would give abit more loft and I'd have a wider gap in degrees.

trackdayking

Club Champion
Visit site
What you are after is a equal gap between your wedges what deg is your wedge in your iron set? I have ping g15 irons my wedge is a 45...So i have a 50 54 58 wedge set, before the ping's i had some wilson fg tour irons the wedge was 47....so i had 52 56 60

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
I had a 56 and 60 and my previous Gw was 50 so not to bad but after changing irons I went from 5-Gw to 4-Pw the Pw is 47 so have ordered 52 and 58 to help balance the gaps out better. I found I really only used 1 of the 2 usually in bunkers and decided better with something in the middle.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a 52/58 in the bag for a while. With that set up I was using the 52 for more shots so it meant having to take a bit off the 52 to cover the necessary distances. Hitting the 58 hard seemed to make it go higher rather than further. However the 58 with a bit less bounce than my 56 gave me a good option for little dinky shots around the green and was great for deeper bunkers and particularly handy when there wasn't much sand in them.

Gone back to 52/56 now as they renovated a lot of our bunkers so there is more sand and I also feel a bit more comfortable hitting a fuller shot with the 56 rather than an eased off 52, especially where I am having to carry a greenside bunker.

Not a lot in it though and it would be worth getting a 58 and trying that set up to see if you like it.