Games console advice

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am 50, I have 2 boys, one is 11 and the other is 14. They both have a PS4 and Xbox 1 and their own tablet and phones. We have a 6ft snooker table in 1 room, a table tennis table in the garden with a soccer goal and a badmington set up. They both play golf, the eldest off 12. The youngest plays soccer for his local team and won they their last tournament. They will always choose playing sport when they can but there is plenty of time to do electronic stuff as well, we just encouraged it from an early age and actually sometimes I wish they would play on them instead of daddddd can you play with me. Which I love really, that they want to play with me and include me in it, the advantage is I can also do that with the gaming side as well, we do 4 way tennis and soccer on the switch as well as Mario Golf (wife likes to play also)and my eldest and I do some MMO playing.

My youngest is loving the Olympics and gets up at 7am and goes down stairs to watch it every morning.

Summer helps with the sport and winter is more console stuff.
I would like that balance, it’s why I want to make the right decision on this.
We have had a good day with just 40 minutes of console time and some frisbee in the park .. but weather wise it’s been bad. Now it’s tv time

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will be defo getting a ps5 and moving back when I can get one

I haven't fallen in love with the Xbox

I've had in the past

N64
Xbox
Ps2
PS3
PS4
Switch
Xbox one

Now I wanna go back and get ps5

No real rush but will be my next console for sure

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
The Xbox controller feels light years ahead of the PS controllers and as someone who plays mostly FPS that’s a big deal to me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
100%, I'm desperately seeking a third party PS5 controller with an xbox layout but there aren't any yet.
Strange, they must have redesigned it considerably. The Xbox controllers of the past were bulbous behemoths that were enough to put you off the console on their own.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I have had Playstations all the way through never even played on an x box, I enjoy gaming, always have but never been over the top.
I tend to play more in the winter, buy games second hand that are about a year old as the dark nights approach.
I bought a PS5 last week thinking they are going to become harder to get old of the nearer we get to Christmas, my advise to anybody looking to buy a PS5 is to join one of the Twitter feeds for stock alerts, they are spot on, anybody waiting for a price drop, get real, do you think Sony are going to drop the price on an item people are queing up to buy, any stock that becomes available sells out in 5 minutes.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I have been a massive gamer over the years and have owned most consoles since the Atari 2600. I currently have a PS5, Switch and will get an Xbox series S at some point just to play the few games I cant get on PS.

How old is your son, how often does he play games and is it just minecraft and Lego he plays. For pure fun games for kids you cant beat the Nintendo Switch, with the plus side of going handheld.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been a massive gamer over the years and have owned most consoles since the Atari 2600. I currently have a PS5, Switch and will get an Xbox series S at some point just to play the few games I cant get on PS.

How old is your son, how often does he play games and is it just minecraft and Lego he plays. For pure fun games for kids you cant beat the Nintendo Switch, with the plus side of going handheld.
Little fella is nearly 9. Loves Lego and minecraft, looked at the switch and it’s a contender as he has some friends with them .. we are quite behind the curve on these things but that might not be a bad thing.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
For a 9 year old it a switch would be the best choice. You get the option to go handheld, and loads of games like Mario, animal crossing, labo, plus Minecraft and the Lego games he likes.