Games console advice

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just looking at the possibility of upgrading my PS3 …
My boy plays minecraft and Lego games on it and it’s all off line, plus it’s starting to go on the fritz

I am thinking of getting a base PS4 but the PS5 prices don’t look a world away and should I look at Xbox?
which one has the cheapest online account as well ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just looking at the possibility of upgrading my PS3 …
My boy plays minecraft and Lego games on it and it’s all off line, plus it’s starting to go on the fritz

I am thinking of getting a base PS4 but the PS5 prices don’t look a world away and should I look at Xbox?
which one has the cheapest online account as well ?

Tbh I've had PS4 and Xbox. I currently have an Xbox but wish I had never sold my PS4.

There isn't much in the actual console more the experience so do you know more Xbox or PS4 gamers? Go with the majority

I really want a ps5 however can't find them for love nor money

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think I am really a PS person.. I have seen PS5 advertised but they could have huge delivery dates on which might explain the PS4 pricing

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PS5 but they’re near impossible to buy.

Xbox Series X is good. Game Pass is excellent value and the best way to play many top quality games except for Sony exclusives.

Avoid the Xbox Series S if things like 4K and the best performance and quality matters to you.

Miller

Visit site
Given the games involved, you may as well take the cheap option until your son (or you) want to play something more adventurous.

I'd suggest a PS4 Pro - you get a decent performance and resolution and current games are still being produced for both PS 4 and PS5. The only real reason to buy a PS5 these days is because you want faster loading times and frame rates - there's not a huge jump up to the power of PS5 just yet.

There's no real need to buy the online services if you don't need them. Xbox's Game Pass is pretty compelling though as it has better games on offer than Playstation.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am an xbox gamer. Series X is great and if you get gamepass (basically netflix for xbox games) that tenner a month is all I spend on games. Remember Minecraft is owned by Microsoft and is on gamepass to download as are all first party microsoft games.
PS5 looks at great console at the moment but impossible to get and much of the hype is based simply on Microsoft being slow to get any first party games out this generation.
For younger gamers, I would go Xbox series S as long as you dont mind it being digital only

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I've had every PlayStation since the original. So the PS5. Obviously if you can get one.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i Don’t mind digital, I was going to upgrade the tv but the wife started getting over involved, so I didn’t bother as she was diluting my wants too much and it was my money.
I was thinking PS4 as a stop gap, possibly a refurbed one but they are not much cheaper than new ( god knows why!) I was just worried that Sony would shut the network down like they did on PS3.
xbox x looks expensive as well I saw game pass at £28/month and thought that was too much, I am of the age that I expect something physical for my money so like a disc … I really hate office 365 and it’s perpetual updates that I don’t require

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
i Don’t mind digital, I was going to upgrade the tv but the wife started getting over involved, so I didn’t bother as she was diluting my wants too much and it was my money.
I was thinking PS4 as a stop gap, possibly a refurbed one but they are not much cheaper than new ( god knows why!) I was just worried that Sony would shut the network down like they did on PS3.
xbox x looks expensive as well I saw game pass at £28/month and thought that was too much, I am of the age that I expect something physical for my money so like a disc … I really hate office 365 and it’s perpetual updates that I don’t require

Game Pass if 10.99 a month. There is an option for a monthly subscription which includes the console and gamepass and that could be your £28 option. I like a disc as well but as all of Microsofts games are day 1 releases on Gamepass if pays for itself pretty quickly. Just the new Halo and Forza Horizon this year will cover the cost (comared to Sony charging £70 for new releases). Will get a PS5 but Xbox has always been my first choice, partly because I loved the conroller and was never comfortable with the Sony one.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought Xbox was pretty much dead in the water compared to PlayStation these days. I don't think I know anyone who still uses Xbox.

Personally I've had PS1, 2, 3 and 4. I haven't bought a 5 yet because there's no new games I'm desperate for, and in a year or 18 months or whenever, the PS5 will be lower in price and easier to get hold of.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have no experience of Xbox.

I have all the Playstations, including the PS5 which I’ve had for around 2 months after squatting on sites for hours and months to get one. Ratchet and Clank on PS5 coupled with a decent HDR TV is superb. The preloaded game is excellent too, showing off what the new controller can do.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had my PS5 since lockdown and love it. I was very lucky in getting it as was just looking at Game site and it flashed up in stock and managed to get it for the normal price. As you know games will only get better and to me it has been worth the money ??????

Miller

Visit site
Agree with the PS4 Pro. I don’t think we’ll see the full power of the PS5 for at least another year.

Games like Tsushima and Last Of Us II, God Of War really show how good PS4 is.

I have a PS5 and it hasn’t completely wowed me over the PS4 Pro yet.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Agree with the PS4 Pro. I don’t think we’ll see the full power of the PS5 for at least another year.

Games like Tsushima and Last Of Us II, God Of War really show how good PS4 is.

I have a PS5 and it hasn’t completely wowed me over the PS4 Pro yet.

I've both. Side by side the 5 is marginally better for PS4 gmaes, but its mostly in the loading times and how quite the 5 is. It's clearly not working as hard as the 4 Pro.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Forget Xbox Vs PlayStation, go for whichever console ticks the most boxes for you. I've flip flopped from ps to Xbox and back many times and to be honest the only difference is the controller and home screen software.
Saying that my ps5 is the biz, is it a huge step up from my Xbox one, it's hard to tell at the minute as the games I play are last gen anyway. Maybe I'll see the real benefit of the new console in a year or two.
Xbox and PlayStation online account prices are pretty similar now so I wouldn't use that to choose between consoles.
How old is your son, will he be playing more "mature" games in a few years? I'd definitely be going next gen console and ask him what his pals play.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought Xbox was pretty much dead in the water compared to PlayStation these days. I don't think I know anyone who still uses Xbox.

Personally I've had PS1, 2, 3 and 4. I haven't bought a 5 yet because there's no new games I'm desperate for, and in a year or 18 months or whenever, the PS5 will be lower in price and easier to get hold of.

I have to say this is the worst post on here. I don't know anyone who uses an xbox hence no one does

I have had every Playstation and Xbox there has been. I currently have a PS5 and an Xbox Series S as well as new gaming PC. My kids both have a PS4 and an Xbox 1. It is pretty impossible to get a PS5, I got one on the PCworld lottery. However the PS4 and Xbox's are also getting difficult to find and more expensive.

If you really want a future proof 4k gaming machine the PS5 or Xbox Series X are it. If you are into standard gaming in HD and that includes kids with current availability the Xbox Series S is your best choice both on price and availability but will still take some work.

Game pass is a winner, 150 odd games for a tenner a month plus all new AAA Microsoft release forthcoming.

Apparently been around 10 million PS5's sold world wide with a shortage and 7.5 million xbox's (new ones) again with shortages.

You may have to buy what you can get rather than what you want due to the above issues but I reckon you won't go wrong with any of them, my kids (14 and 11) both play the PS4 and Xbox 1 and both are great and also love using the new consoles which are faster with better performance and resolutions so enjoy what you can get and don't get sucked in to the fanboi my console is better than yours, i wouldnt use an xbox..i wouldn't use a Playstation it's utter BS, both are great and offer loads of fun. The reason I have both is because they are both great and offer some decent exclusives. PS5 definitely the better exclusives looking ahead by Gamepass is currently a winner at £10.99 a month. Win win in my book

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I use Xbox, although still on the Xbox One X. Game pass is cracking value, especially with the likes of Forza Horizon 5 coming out later in the year.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Forget Xbox Vs PlayStation, go for whichever console ticks the most boxes for you. I've flip flopped from ps to Xbox and back many times and to be honest the only difference is the controller and home screen software.
Saying that my ps5 is the biz, is it a huge step up from my Xbox one, it's hard to tell at the minute as the games I play are last gen anyway. Maybe I'll see the real benefit of the new console in a year or two.
Xbox and PlayStation online account prices are pretty similar now so I wouldn't use that to choose between consoles.
How old is your son, will he be playing more "mature" games in a few years? I'd definitely be going next gen console and ask him what his pals play.
My son is 8, I don’t want to get too deep into the console stuff and I am hoping he takes more interest in actual sports. So if I buy the latest and greatest will I have an issue with a boy who will fester in front of one? The lock down has been a pain in the butt with the shutting down of clubs, but as busy parents we have been rubbish as well . I ask him if he would like to come to my range sessions or play a few holes with me but he isn’t interested, the timing of these have to now be on non bath nights and after dinner. He was into swimming and loves the pool, but they are just opening up now, so we need to get back on it. Selfishly I don’t want to stand around watching him play sports either .. I want to do it, even though I have 2 ripped acl’s and nearly 50. I do find the console a little frustrating as I cannot deal with the stuff like I would on a court/pitch etc.. so if the boy is like me he will get frustrated quickly

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
My son is 8, I don’t want to get too deep into the console stuff and I am hoping he takes more interest in actual sports. So if I buy the latest and greatest will I have an issue with a boy who will fester in front of one? The lock down has been a pain in the butt with the shutting down of clubs, but as busy parents we have been rubbish as well . I ask him if he would like to come to my range sessions or play a few holes with me but he isn’t interested, the timing of these have to now be on non bath nights and after dinner. He was into swimming and loves the pool, but they are just opening up now, so we need to get back on it. Selfishly I don’t want to stand around watching him play sports either .. I want to do it, even though I have 2 ripped acl’s and nearly 50. I do find the console a little frustrating as I cannot deal with the stuff like I would on a court/pitch etc.. so if the boy is like me he will get frustrated quickly

I am 50, I have 2 boys, one is 11 and the other is 14. They both have a PS4 and Xbox 1 and their own tablet and phones. We have a 6ft snooker table in 1 room, a table tennis table in the garden with a soccer goal and a badmington set up. They both play golf, the eldest off 12. The youngest plays soccer for his local team and won they their last tournament. They will always choose playing sport when they can but there is plenty of time to do electronic stuff as well, we just encouraged it from an early age and actually sometimes I wish they would play on them instead of daddddd can you play with me. Which I love really, that they want to play with me and include me in it, the advantage is I can also do that with the gaming side as well, we do 4 way tennis and soccer on the switch as well as Mario Golf (wife likes to play also)and my eldest and I do some MMO playing.

My youngest is loving the Olympics and gets up at 7am and goes down stairs to watch it every morning.

Summer helps with the sport and winter is more console stuff.