G20 woes

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
Played my second round with the new g20 irons today, another woeful display.
23 points off 28, went round in 112! Last week it was 116.

I cant hit them consistently, god knows why, they're supposed to be one of the most forgiving clubs on the market, but i'm getting slices, hooks, fat shots, thin shots, and my confidence in my club selection is waining rapdly.

My mate on the other hand has also bought new irons, plays off 28 and has scored 36/39 pts in his last two rounds and smashed the 100 barrier. Very happy for him but so frustrating at the same time.

Can anyone tell me if they have had similar problems with new irons/clubs, and how long it took to get used to them?

Got my monthly society meet next weekend, if things go badly I'l be seriously considering selling them on and cutting my losses, and going back to my old hippo set!

bigfoot1985

Head Pro
Visit site
new golf clubs wont make you a better player!!

Its down to the way you swing, set up etc...

Maybe get yourself some lessons if you want to improve your scores rather than thinking if you get new clubs that will fix your problems!!

D

Deleted member 1740

Chin up fella swapping and changing clubs wont help mate, try and go down the range and work with them.

I think people expect a bit too much from new sticks with knowing them particular clubs are the correct ones for them after a custom fit etc.

Go back to basics and remind yourself it's you and not the clubs.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its never the clubs fault!

Even though they are the most forgiving irons you still need to put a decent swing on them.

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
Don't mistake me for that kind of player, I know I'm relatively new to the game (since November) but my last set of irons I was scoring consistently low 30's and between 100-110. Last round I played with them I scored 36 and a pb of 102. I wasn't expecting a massive change in my shots or points, just consistency. Instead I feel like I'm going backwards and am wondering if it's a mental block or if I've just bought the wrong clubs for me.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
If you are thinning and fatting, hooking and slicing there are some serious swing issues going on. I found one of the easiest ways to improve my swing was to slow it down. Gives you much more chance of hitting the ball and squaring the clubface. I got a metronome and set it to 60BPM and I know there is an app on iPhone.

Another thing that helped was to shorten my backswing. The less distance I swung back the easier it was to make a good connection.

Please don't blame the clubs and cost yourself serious money. Get some lessons fella and in time all will be fine. I understand your frustrations it took me an age to get my golf going in the right direction.

Keep plugging away and with some expert guidance hopefully the shots will come tumbling off. Keep us posted. T

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you are thinning and fatting, hooking and slicing there are some serious swing issues going on. I found one of the easiest ways to improve my swing was to slow it down. Another thing that helped was to shorten my backswing. The less distance I swung back the easier it was to make a good connection.

This is what happened to me, my pro said i was swinging way too hard/fast and my backswing was too long and it went the ball was going anywhere... he got me to slow it right down and made it a 3/4 backswing, and hey presto it works :D get yourself a few lessons and i guarantee you those G20s will be worth every penny... persistence mate, you'll get there :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sounds like you are trying too hard. You have three options as I see it. Get a lesson and see if there is a major swing fault thats crept in, go to the range and learn to love the irons or jsut go out and swing like you did with the old ones. As I've been told on here manytime you can't buy a golf game but trying to whack the cover off it as I suspect you are doing with the new bats isn't the answer

deesta

Hacker
Visit site
My game improved no end when i just slowed it all down 10%. I like hitting a long way but there's no point if its in the wrong direction. I expected to be hitting further when i changed irons but was trying to rely on the clubs too much and not my swing..

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
bad shots come from bad swings.

inconsistancy comes from bad swings.

new clubs will neither help nor hinder a 28handicapper, unless you convince yourself that they dont work, and in that case its a mental problem rather than a real one.

still stick with the new clubs, enjoy having new shiny clubs and get better by practicing and swinging consistantly in sensible shapes.

enjoy the journey. (if your anything like me then its all about the journey cause you never arrive)

Phil

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
the only swing thought you should have is 'swing slow', works for me when i use it

the harder you try to hit the ball the more chance of messing up. go back to basics and try not to think about too much

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're off 28 so consistency is not going to be a strength. I'm off 11 and can go from the sublime to the ridiculous within a round never mind a weekend and I'm sure there's plenty of guys much lower than me who would be the same.

My advice...persevere. It ain't the clubs, mate. :)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As above. If I can shoot 66 - 79 on consecutive rounds playing off 9 then a 20 shot spread shouldn't be worried about at your handicap.
You have probably the best clubs for your bracket. Learn to use them. It wont come quick and it wont come easy but it will come.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Sorry to be blunt but if a 28 HC player is looking for something extra from buying a new set of clubs then most 28HC would be playing off 10…..but no.

I nearly missed the ball the other week………I shanked the ball straight right over the pros shop in the last medal at Dunbar and ran up a triple bogie. I three putted 4 greens on Saturday.

You have a long way to go before you play as much crap as me.

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
Going to try and get a lesson in this afternoon, the words of wisdom and support from the majority of you has really raised my spirits and made me realise I'm expecting too big a change in my game in such a short space of time, so a big thankyou to you all.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Going to try and get a lesson in this afternoon, the words of wisdom and support from the majority of you has really raised my spirits and made me realise I'm expecting too big a change in my game in such a short space of time, so a big thankyou to you all.

Really glad to hear that fella! :D Hope the lesson goes well, try and have a chat with the pro afterwards about a plan of improvement (series of lessons and practice schedule) and make sure you try and get that quality practice time in to bed in the teachings!

Keep us posted :)

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I three putted 4 greens on Saturday.

Really? :p

You dont want to putt on the greens at Royal Musselburgh, still recovering from the coring they got in march and some of the holes are still there. Later in each day, with a little growth, you can see small dark circles the size of a 5p, stick a tee down and you can move it about...I kid you not.