Future of Golf Club committees?

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Just read the traditions thread with interest and it sparked a question in my mind as to the future of committees. Research shows that
- rates of volunteering have stagnated or have potentially declined
- an individual's likelihood to become a member of an organisation has decreased across generations meaning those born in the 60s/70s are less likely to be members than those born in the 30s/40s
- this membership decline is likely to worsen
- our volunteer workforce is heavily dependent on a core of about 20% that give the most time
- this core is ageing

Bearing all these things in mind and the sterling work conducted by volunteers at golf clubs could we potentially be looking at a situation in 10-20 years time where committees are outdated and the exception rather than the norm?

Last edited:

Mightymoose

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of the main problems is that the current committees are such closed shops that their behaviour discourages new members from volunteering and joining in.

I tried offering some time and assistance at my place last year, but got dumped on big time, so thought better of it.

Since 2009 we have had 9 committee members resign and only 3 have been replaced. We have no financial convenor and no vice captain (not necessarily a committee memeber anyway).

Out of the 60 AGM attendees, I was one of only 6 under 40. We have 350 full members!

CallawayKid

Q-School Graduate
www.regimentway.co.uk
I can't talk for other clubs but our committee is looking good at the moment and are open to all and any ideas from any member or visitors. I guess I could be biased as I'm serving at the moment but I'm under 40. It is true that some of the old sticks don't like change too much, they have their moan but I've found that many are embracing it.

If volunteers can't be found then there should be an incentive to be on a committee, currently we don't really have one. It's not easy work as you will not please everyone but it is rewarding when a member says thank you.

CK

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Ah but what incentive do you offer without running foul of employment legislation? For example if you waived or discounted green fees the financial saving could be classed as a payment to 'volunteers' thereby leavingclubs open to being taken to employment tribunal

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
At my club we have a comittee, and a board. You can be elected to either, on a 1 year or 2 year term before standing for re-election. So far, we still have more volunteers than there are places. Before each election, notice is given so interested parties can apply, and nominations are pinned to the notice board (with a brief resume), and have to be seconded. People are then voted in at the AGM.

Seems to work. can't see why it will stop working any time soon.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I stopped serving on mine after realising that it didnt matter what you did, there were always people who would take decisions that had been made by the committee personally, and would be extrememy rude to committee members whether or not they had been party to the decision. I eventually couldn't be bothered to spend hours of my free time working for the idiots, who, would never stand for committee themselves. That said, otherwise it was an interesting few years and you would be suprised at what would go on behind the scenes and I never thought that your average committee member did it, other than for the benefit of the members and not for self importance etc etc but I am fairly sure Thecraw will be along to set that straight in a minute!

Chris

DCB

Visit site
We are a traditional members club. Our committee is made up of around a dozen members. Most of these people are conveners of a sub committee with an specific area of responsibility. The main committee gets reports from each sub committee and decisions are either made by the committee or put to the AGM if it is a topic that warrants that route. It seems to work well enough and keeps the club headed in the right direction.

There's so much that needs to be looked at nowadays that you really do need to have the right people in the right place though. That's were people with relevant professional experience come into the equation. I think any club that operates an 'old boys' policy in choosing their committee is looking for trouble.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was asked to join our committee this year and to be honest jumped at the chance, too many committee's are made up of old school coffin dodgers that are stuck in their old ways and havent moved with the times. Its also nice to see the club from the other side of the table, see what work goes in behind the scenes in order for the club to continue. it also makes you appreciate just what is done behind the scenes.