any ideas
golf complex within 2 hours drive of calais
and where we close to a town to go out at night
any help be great
thanks

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally, can't recommend any golf complexes (ie don't know any as such) but we've had enjoyable trips staying at Le Touquet, Montreuil-sur-Mer, Dieppe and Reims. All within 2hr of Calais, plenty of choice for going out in town, and plenty of golf on hand. Or, and I know it's not France, over the border in Belgium, the best trip was to Mons. Other Belgian centres we've used are Bruges, Waterloo and Kortryk. Same applies as for the French trips.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Le touquet every day of the week.

It's an hour down coast from Calais, can play Hardelot course(s) on route and then play Le touquet which has two courses. It's not a resort area but Le Touquet golf is 5 min drive so you could always get a taxi (and perhaps leave clubs at golf club). Other one if you don't mind driving is golf de belle dune just a bit further down coast.

Not a golf complex although there is a hotel right on the Le Touquet course, but benefit is simple hotels like hotel red fox are right in the town with bars, restaurants and the beach on the doorstep. It will be full of golfers as that's what the town markets itself on but nice mix of tourists and locals.

If you do need a complex then golf d'arras is worth a look but personally course doesn't compete and you have to taxi or longer walk to the bars.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

It's an hour down coast from Calais, can play Hardelot course(s) on route and then play Le touquet which has two courses. It's not a resort area but Le Touquet golf is 5 min drive so you could always get a taxi (and perhaps leave clubs at golf club). Other one if you don't mind driving is golf de belle dune just a bit further down coast.

Not a golf complex although there is a hotel right on the Le Touquet course, but benefit is simple hotels like hotel red fox are right in the town with bars, restaurants and the beach on the doorstep. It will be full of golfers as that's what the town markets itself on but nice mix of tourists and locals.

If you do need a complex then golf d'arras is worth a look but personally course doesn't compete and you have to taxi or longer walk to the bars.
I enjoyed Hardelot with the work group I went with, but mainly because accommodation was in a hotel owned/operated by an ex member of staff of the company. Played Le Touquet on the way back to the ferry. Another time, with the same group, we went to a single Hotel/Golf place further inland on the Rheims road - also enjoyable, but the single course meant less variety. Interesting co-guests were a load of veteran cars enthusiasts off to a 'do' in Rheims. Oldest was from 1905 and all were pre WW1! Played Arras on the way back, which was 'interesting' as the Ladies Tour was due there that week, so the greens were running extremely fast - even faster than the would be for the tournament! Absolutely true, with some scary slopes, though!

Jason.H

Visit site

I enjoyed all these courses many years ago plus we played Saint Omer as a friend was a member.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah if i recall we combined Saint Omer with our trip to arras. Think it's quite undulating and has held quite a few professional events hasn't it?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We're headed to Le Touquet in September, staying at The Red Fox in the middle of town (about 40 mins from Calais). Playing Hardelot Dunes on the way down, two at Le Touquet and Belle Dune (my fav course out there). Been a few years since we've been to the area, but have always enjoyed it over there. Easy to get around, courses all within 30 mins of the hotel, the drive is easy and can fill the car up with wine on the way back(not sure if it's such a bargain these days, but will have a look see).

We've also stayed at Hardelot in the past, Le Park Hotel, which was decent, a few hundred yards from both Hardelot courses and an easy drive to Le Touquet or Belle Dune. It's about a mile from the main part of town and the sea front.

Would always recommend adding Belle Dune to whatever package you get for Le Touquet or Hardelot. You can also add Wimeraux which is in between Calais and Hardelot.

We did Arras a few years back, only one course but was OK, and not far from town as I recall. If you go there, go down into the Arras tunnels........ The onsite hotel was pretty decent, the food was good as I remember, had steak every night (included in the deal), but I thought the hotel at the course had closed.

Jason.H

Visit site
been change plan now..lads want france
any ideas
golf complex within 2 hours drive of calais
and where we close to a town to go out at night
any help be great
thanks

Saint Omer I used to play a lot. It has a new hotel not sure of the prices. Food was amazing.
Golf d Arras and Golf d Hardelot with a visit

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Those who go, do you book direct or via a golf travel company???

I use Golfbreaks.

Currently sitting in the Red Fox after today’s round. Played Hardelot Dunes on Tuesday, good course in good condition. Played Belle Dune yesterday, big disappointment as they were hollow timing and put out temp greens for all 18. A much shortened course and ruined the visit.

Played La Mer at Le Touquet today. Very nice, tough course but enjoyed it. Last round on La Forêt tomorrow as my travels end for this year.

First time staying in Le Touquet, it’s perfect. There’s 10 - 20 bars and restaurants within a minutes walk of the hotel front door

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Quick update following my return last night. Worked it out that it was 8 years since we last went to Le Touquet. The course has changed a fair bit since then. The new clubhouse is fabulous, really nicely done, and the food yesterday was really nice. Friendly and helpful staff in the pro shop. We didn’t play the 9 holes, but both La Mer and La Forêt are way better than I remembered, they’ve matured a lot more. A good test of golf on La Mer, some tough greens out there. La Forêt is a bit easier, but was still tough as the wind got up and we were playing into it for most of the back 9. The greens were in great condition on both course. We got away with the weather, the only rain hitting us literally as we walked off 18 at Hardelot on day 1. We would all go back and play again without question, good golf setup, easy to reach the other courses and plenty of restaurants and bars on the hotel doorstep.

Would still add Belle Dune to the list, it’s still a good looking and tough course, especially the new 600+ yard 15th. Just make sure they don’t have green maintenance planned. Golf Breaks never told us, so when we turned up all 18 holes on temps, course very much shorter and absolutely no point in putting, ruined the day, especially as none of the others had played it before. Here’s the temp pin on the par 3 third…..???
BCE87B52-D760-4BCD-B003-3FC279DF9E54.jpeg

Almost forgot, Belle Dune has a bit of badger damage at the moment only seems to be on one or two holes, but…….59FE29BF-BFE8-4207-8BA5-96E26D153256.jpeg