Forum mini meet - South Shields 2 September 2023

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
My club is having its annual Men's Open pairs Stableford on 2 September. This is the time of year when the greens are at their best. @Lord Tyrion & I & two of Tyrion's mates are coming. Why don't we turn this into a Northern mini meet? We're teeing off at around 11.00. There are plenty of spaces available still & it's a "pay on the day" affair, although a firm commitment to turn up would be appreciated.

Entry is £40 per pair, plus a small amount for our own competition. Don't try to book on BRS, it will ask you to fill out a form & send a cheque! (We're likely to join the 21st century very soon). Anyone who wants to play please supply me with your proper name, e mail, CDH number & index & I'll arrange a time close to ours. Pairs or fours, if you like or, if you're a single, I can fix you up with a friend or Forum member.

For those who don't know it, the course is on a limestone hill & is dry an hour after it rains. We have four trees, otherwise the views are terrific. You can see the Cheviots, Yorkshire Moors & even Sweden on a good day (almost). The greens are, for some reason, best towards the end of the season. The clubhouse is comfortable & serves a good variety of reasonably priced meals. Other details can be found at www.southshieldsgolfclub.co.uk

If anyone is coming & staying over I believe the club have arrangements with some local guest houses, one of which is on a street with about 30 Indian, Chinese & Italian restaurants.

Looking forward to a huge response.

Last edited:

evemccc

Visit site
Won’t be able to make it as not in a ‘drivable distance to South Shields’ again until October :(

Sounds good tho!

evemccc

Visit site
Got an Open at Long Ashton that day or I'd make the trip. Still haven't played enough in the N East.

When you do head to the NE, make a beeline to stop en-route at Seacroft…you certainly will not be disappointed

Superb golf course IMO

Holes 1-4, 7,8,9,13 and 16 all v good I thought

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We now have eight Forum members & their friends booked in. Lots of times still available.
Looking forward to playing your course to make it 10 & joining you again Bill, with my mate Bali, who you may remember from a few years back, when we played your 'mini-meet' at Tyneside GC.
I'll PM you our details in a mo. Let me know if you need money.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Looking forward to playing your course to make it 10 & joining you again Bill, with my mate Bali, who you may remember from a few years back, when we played your 'mini-meet' at Tyneside GC.
I'll PM you our details in a mo. Let me know if you need money.
That's great. Time will be around 11.20. No cash needed, pay on the day

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Last call for entries into the above. At present we have me, Lord T, Paul DJ & 2Blue plus 12 of our guests. I have booked slots between 11.00 & 12.00 & suggest we meet between 10.00 & 10.30 for pre game refreshments. Please bring £2 in change for our private sweep & pay your entry in the pro shop on arrival.

Would everyone now supply me with names &, if you have them, CDH numbers & Indices.

Look forward to seeing everyone on the day.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last call for entries into the above. At present we have me, Lord T, Paul DJ & 2Blue plus 12 of our guests. I have booked slots between 11.00 & 12.00 & suggest we meet between 10.00 & 10.30 for pre game refreshments. Please bring £2 in change for our private sweep & pay your entry in the pro shop on arrival.

Would everyone now supply me with names &, if you have them, CDH numbers & Indices.

Look forward to seeing everyone on the day.

Gutted I can’t make it, can you pass on my regards to Paul DJ please 👍

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I think everyone enjoyed themselves yesterday. The course was in pretty good condition, although the greenkeepers had exercised their sense of humour with the pin placements on a number of holes. The winning score in the Open was 45 points, understandable when the course's only defence is the wind, which didn't blow yesterday. In our own competition there were two scores of 40 points with @Springveldt & his partner, recent winner of his club's championship, taking it on the back nine from two non Forrumer friends of mine. A number of those participating remarked that the had never played the course in such calm conditions. It can be bleak when the wind blows & the temperature drops so we were very lucky. Thanks everyone for coming.

SSGC.jpg

Springveldt

Visit site
Thanks @Maninblack4612. It was mostly my partners play that won us our sweep, I think he would have shot -3 on the back 9 with his ball and I managed to chip in with a birdie and a par on the hole I got a shot on, just a pity we couldn’t hole anything on the front 9.

We both enjoyed the day, course was great and that rough was brutal. Took me 3 swipes on one of the holes to get the ball to travel the 10 yards back onto the fairway, nearly lost it and it only travelled 2 yards on one of the hits. 😂

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Thanks @Maninblack4612. It was mostly my partners play that won us our sweep, I think he would have shot -3 on the back 9 with his ball and I managed to chip in with a birdie and a par on the hole I got a shot on, just a pity we couldn’t hole anything on the front 9.

We both enjoyed the day, course was great and that rough was brutal. Took me 3 swipes on one of the holes to get the ball to travel the 10 yards back onto the fairway, nearly lost it and it only travelled 2 yards on one of the hits. 😂
Did I notice your partner had an eagle on 12?

Springveldt

Visit site
Did I notice your partner had an eagle on 12?
Yes. Driver then 9 iron to about 25 foot past the pin and he holed the putt. My drive on that hole was 288 and he was 38 yards past me. That was probably the only long putt we holed between us all day. He birdied 14 as well to steal the hole from me as I had a 3 footer for par and I got a shot on that hole. I birdied 15 and he should have birdied 18 as he hit his 3 wood to about 2 yards short of the left bunker, chipped over it to about 6 foot but then missed the putt.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes. Driver then 9 iron to about 25 foot past the pin and he holed the putt. My drive on that hole was 288 and he was 38 yards past me. That was probably the only long putt we holed between us all day. He birdied 14 as well to steal the hole from me as I had a 3 footer for par and I got a shot on that hole. I birdied 15 and he should have birdied 18 as he hit his 3 wood to about 2 yards short of the left bunker, chipped over it to about 6 foot but then missed the putt.
That sort of golf is just unnecessary 😠

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Drive & 9 iron! I hit driver, 3 wood & wedge