Fliers

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just wondering is there a set way to know if you’re going to catch a flier and how to compensate for it?
If I club down it’s a gamble on if I get one then May come up well short.
I don’t normally get them but had a couple the last few rounds. Worst being one sailed over the green and over the cliff. I dropped then used same club again and left myself a 6foot putt as it bounced short of the pin and rolled up towards the hole.
I’ve had them with my irons and wedges so it doesnt seem to be a set rule either. Normally it just sends me to the back of the green then slightly long but the one that went OOB really annoyed me.
I’m assuming it’s just the time of year due to the course drying and the grass growing so much at the moment making it more fluffy?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I often wonder about this myself

Ball lying in grass which gets between club face and ball = no or little backspin

Ball lying in grass which get between club face and ball - will this result in a poor strike and a loss of distance?

bagcarrier

Visit site
There are quite a few circumstances where a flier may occur , grass between ball and clubface , water between ball and clubface , grain of grass with you and on some occasions grain of grass against you.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I just think you have to play the shot more defensively. If you know there is danger long, then select a club to be a bit short. You see it a lot on TV, when they Pro's are in the first cut, even they have issues determining if it's going to fly. Just avoid the bad miss and accept that you may have to chip up.