Flexible

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
So I popped up to a course on Friday to discuss joining. I spoke to a very nice bloke regarding my, what could have been thought of as unreasonable at another place, requests regarding comps. But the bloke explained that my requests were not a problem in the slightest. As for their comps, they are incredibly flexible. Utterly brilliant. I have now found a club that fits all my requirements, and they won't be getting one new member they'll be getting three. If only other clubs did the same they'd find a massive revenue stream.

Comps:- Are on at weekend.
Mixed comp (qualifier) on a Sunday. Can play at anytime.
Saturday comps for mens. Wife can join up with us even if she isn't playing in the comp if she wants to. No problem.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So I popped up to a course on Friday to discuss joining. I spoke to a very nice bloke regarding my, what could have been thought of as unreasonable at another place, requests regarding comps. But the bloke explained that my requests were not a problem in the slightest. As for their comps, they are incredibly flexible. Utterly brilliant. I have now found a club that fits all my requirements, and they won't be getting one new member they'll be getting three. If only other clubs did the same they'd find a massive revenue stream.

Comps:- Are on at weekend.
Mixed comp (qualifier) on a Sunday. Can play at anytime.
Saturday comps for mens. Wife can join up with us even if she isn't playing in the comp if she wants to. No problem.

I'm glad you found a great club that suits you.

However remember different people want different things, perhaps other clubs would lose 10 existing members if they agreed to your requirements, and so would actually lose revenue. We all want different things, and so clubs cannot be "cookie cutter" in what they offer. Hopefully, we can all find somewhere that suits us, and not worry about the other people and places that have different ideas.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My last 3 clubs have been clubs that run multi-tee comps and anyone, irrespective of gender, can play. I've not heard a single negative muttering, and there's definitely not been a stream of people leaving.

Lets face it, it makes no difference with who you play with, unless they're drawn comps I guess.

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
My last 3 clubs have been clubs that run multi-tee comps and anyone, irrespective of gender, can play. I've not heard a single negative muttering, and there's definitely not been a stream of people leaving.

Lets face it, it makes no difference with who you play with, unless they're drawn comps I guess.

Agreed. A place I used to play on one day used to have three mens comps all running at the same time. Depending which handicap group you were in that was the comp you were playing in. It didn't matter who you were playing with. As a three ball you all could be playing in a different comp! More flexibility is what should be promoted. Roll up and play comps are a great idea.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My club has virtually no drawn comps... so last season all the golf I played was with the same group of people.

Mine are the same. At one of the two drawn comps I was asked upon entering who I wanted to play with! I thought it was drawn I commented. I was given a wry smile.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Mine are the same. At one of the two drawn comps I was asked upon entering who I wanted to play with! I thought it was drawn I commented. I was given a wry smile.

I used to be at a very similar club, there was a few “drawn” comps but the pro knew who everyone liked playing with and paired them up accordingly. Beats the object of a drawn comp.

sunshine

Visit site

We don't have men's comps any more, so the February Stableford, for example, is open to all members . Makes a lot of sense.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When the clubs seniors run a drawn partner comp there is about a 15-20% drop off in entrants.

For quite a few it is also about who you are having a drink with after the round.

D

Deleted member 21258

When the clubs seniors run a drawn partner comp there is about a 15-20% drop off in entrants.

For quite a few it is also about who you are having a drink with after the round.

Doesn't surprise me, don't think I have ever entered a drawn competition. I play for fun and why would I wish to enter a drawn competition.

If I was on my own or a pairs comp, you have the option to join up with people you do not know at the clubs I am a member of, but why force people to play with people they don't know, just to play at a certain time ?

Perhaps not a PC answer but certainly the way I think.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Doesn't surprise me, don't think I have ever entered a drawn competition. I play for fun and why would I wish to enter a drawn competition.

If I was on my own or a pairs comp, you have the option to join up with people you do not know at the clubs I am a member of, but why force people to play with people they don't know, just to play at a certain time ?

Perhaps not a PC answer but certainly the way I think.

Certain comps are drawn because they are majors and competition secs like to ensure the winner of said comp has done on merit. Now I'm not saying that groups that always play together are maybe cheating, it's just that they may not, unknowingly, be playing to the correct rules and are playing to rules they, as a group, think are correct. Split them up and when a situation arises that they , as their group, apply their rule to and one of the new player will jump in and explain to them they are talking conkers and should have a quick glance at the rules where they will find they the rule they are applying does not exist
and off they can go back to the tee / drop behind the bush they have just extracted their ball from/ etc etc etc.