FJ Giveaway...

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
There will be different and more varied comps in 2021 but it's been a funny old year and stocks are not what they might be so we'll continue onwards with the mug for the coming weeks

For this week let's hear your biggest hard-luck story on the betting front...

We're all prone to repeating this one to anyone in ear shot so here's your perfect opportunity to unburden yourself.

Mine would probably be lumping on (£5e/w) Tommy Bjorn at Sandwich in 2003 at 28 and 33-1. And then watching him
do what he did at 16. I was at work and didn't speak for the next four hours

D

Deleted member 1740

Betting hard luck stories??? I could write a book!!

I backed Kaymer EW in the Desert about 7yrs ago and he was leading by 6 or 7 shots, it could've been more, standing on the 11th tee.

He ended up finishing about 8th out of the places??

I think the French guy won it, a bit of a 1 hit wonder. I'll never forgive Kaymer for that.

*Just remembered it was Gary Stal who won it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Too long ago to remember the name (might come to me sometime) just a journey man pro.

I had really vivid dream one Friday night that this player was going to come 3rd in the USPGA. I do not bet often but it seemed so real that I had to place the bet, sadly he came 4th.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Betting hard luck stories??? I could write a book!!

I backed Kaymer EW in the Desert about 7yrs ago and he was leading by 6 or 7 shots, it could've been more, standing on the 11th tee.

He ended up finishing about 8th out of the places??

I think the French guy won it, a bit of a 1 hit wonder. I'll never forgive Kaymer for that.

books worth here too Stu not surprisingly! a few at 3 figure prices that havent got over the line in golf but nothing too bad, not compared to cricket/nags lol

Brucelily

Visit site
My mate backed Tommy Bjorn at the European Open at the K Club prior at 33/1 and he was leading by 4 going to the 17th to stuff 3 into the Liffy and taking 11 back in 2005. We left at 16 to beat the crowds as he skiped up the road to later discover his bet had tanked.

D

Deleted member 1740

books worth here too Stu not surprisingly! a few at 3 figure prices that havent got over the line in golf but nothing too bad, not compared to cricket/nags lol

My biggest miss was a few years ago I done 5 draws in the Europa league. Thursday's was a mad day for me after work as I had to take my lad to football 6pm, wait, get him home then take my daughter to Girls Brigade for 7:30pm.

Anyway, My early ko's bet was dead in the water so after the usual running around I placed a in play bet after about 15 mins 5 draws. With 3 mins to go i had 3 games drawing AEK Athens were losing 1 nil and AC Milan were 2-1 up. AEK scored a goal in the 90th min and AC Milan conceded a pen in the 92nd min.

The bet was worth £6.5k for a 5er stake, Betting suspended then it flashed up with £4.2k cashout. Literally it was up about 3 seconds and by the time I tried to cashout it had gone off and AC scored in the 94th minute win 3-2 ???

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My biggest miss was a few years ago I done 5 draws in the Europa league. Thursday's was a mad day for me after work as I had to take my lad to football 6pm, wait, get him home then take my daughter to Girls Brigade for 7:30pm.

Anyway, My early ko's bet was dead in the water so after the usual running around I placed a in play bet after about 15 mins 5 draws. With 3 mins to go i had 3 games drawing AEK Athens were losing 1 nil and AC Milan were 2-1 up. AEK scored a goal in the 90th min and AC Milan conceded a pen in the 92nd min.

The bet was worth £6.5k for a 5er stake, Betting suspended then it flashed up with £4.2k cashout. Literally it was up about 3 seconds and by the time I tried to cashout it had gone off and AC scored in the 94th minute win 3-2 ???

You were never cashing out at that price anyway!!!! ;)

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
My most memorable was a 10 fold accumulator on an international week in October 2011.

Everything was going fine until Rooney got sent off against Montenegro, England were winning 2-1 and then with basically the last kick of the game, they equalised and that was the only result that let me down. Cost me around £900 from a £2 bet.....

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I wanted to put DJ at 20 under in a recent competition but someone got there first so I had to change to -21 and lost out by a shot. ?
I kept the -20 but had to pick another player ;-) ;-(

ok, you didn’t specify golf!

I used to put £5 on a likely outsider ever 2 years in euros and world cups. One year I picked France at 20/1 and they actually did very well until in the final Zinedine Zidane did head bud Materazi, got send off and Italy won the thing.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
First time Tyson fought Holyfield, my old man put a i believe £20 on the whole card. Got them all right except for betting on Tyson as someone (maybe me) convinced him Tyson was a shoe in.

Thinking back, I probably deserved the grief that earned me!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
First time Tyson fought Holyfield, my old man put a i believe £20 on the whole card. Got them all right except for betting on Tyson as someone (maybe me) convinced him Tyson was a shoe in.

Thinking back, I probably deserved the grief that earned me!
was that the ear biting incident?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
In 2006 I thought I had a perfect Champions League acca. 14 teams over the 2 nights. Last one was Barca to beat Chelsea and it flashed up Barcelona 2 - 1 Chelsea.
I couldn't believe it, I had won. £50k off a tenner. Bouncing around the living room.

Ecstasy turned to horror as the words "score correction" scrolled across the SSN screen... Bloody Didier Drogba, 90+3 equaliser, last kick of the ball. SSN had jumped the gun and I was suddenly a tenner down.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had £3 on Jean van de velde at 20-1 at the beginning of the 3rd round.
I vaguely remember he was ahead at that stage but still obviously wasn’t fancied.
I didn’t know wether to laugh or cry as I was watching