Fitzpatrick brothers...what price both playing in the same Ryder cup team?

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Matts younger brother Alex ripping it up at the Yorkshire amateur. A 10 under round of 62 and a new course record at Cleveland GC yesterday.

Those in the know say he has even greater potential than his older brother.

D

Deleted member 15344

Snelly who used to post on here also said that he has the potential to be better than his brother - hits it a country mile as well.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played with Alex in the Strensall Rose Bowl in 2016 and he had the worlds no1 amateur player on his bag caddying his brother, Matt. Great all I needed was 2 rounds in front of him but I played quite well. Alex was a great lad who was well grounded and has a great swing but his dad said that Alex is far more advanced then what Mat was at the same age.

The pair of them were very polite, grounded and well mannered young lads. It was a pleasure to be in their company and had a great chat to the dad about Matts year. I hope Alex will follow Matts footsteps and if he's shooting them scores, I'm sure he will.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A pal of mine was involved with Matt through Yorkshire boys team. He raved about this kid Matt years before anyone had heard of him.
Didnt even know he had a younger brother.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Alex just won the Yorkshire amateur championship. 4 medal rounds and I think his total was 24 under par. Won by loads.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sport is full of brothers where brother number 2 "is a better player" but then never makes it. Making it at the top level is about a combination of things, talent, skill, dedication, mental strength being the keys ones imo. Occasionally brothers come through and it is great to see but it is rare. I think mental strength is likely to be the sticking point with most, the level of determination and upstairs strength required to make it as a pro is exceptional.

I think Matthew Fitzpatrick seems a really smashing lad, he smiles, is friendly, seems grounded. If his brother is the same and can make it as well then that would be great for golf generally but for British / European golf in particular.

Senseicads

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sport is full of brothers where brother number 2 "is a better player" but then never makes it. Making it at the top level is about a combination of things, talent, skill, dedication, mental strength being the keys ones imo.

There's a story about Gary Linker's brother being a much better player than Gary but his brother never got the breaks that Gary got. I agree there is a lot more of those kind of stories than people like the Brownlee brothers or the Nevilles.

D

Deleted member 18588

There's a story about Gary Linker's brother being can a much better player than Gary but his brother never got the breaks that Gary got. I agree there is a lot more of those kind of stories than people like the Brownlee brothers or the Nevilles.

That, I can assure you, is a complete and utter urban myth.

His brother played semi-pro but not at a particularly high level and at that time Leicester would have snapped him up if he had been good enough.