Fitness/Recovery Information

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Many times on TV you see athletes or people who are doing endurance events having an ice bath during training or post event.
Today a mate who’s been suffering with sciatica was telling a few of us the physio suggested, if he can, to use a sauna for 15 minutes followed by an ice bath/plunge for 5 minutes, then repeat.
He said it releases hot and cold proteins in the body.
Can any of our resident fitness guys explain what the physio is possibly on about.

D

Deleted member 16999

Simplest way to look at it is as follows

Cold treatment reduces inflammation by decreasing blood flow.

Heat treatment promotes blood flow and helps muscles relax.

Alternating heat and cold may help reduce exercise-induced muscle pain
Would you class a Sauna as “heat” treatment? It’s not exactly focussed.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Really? What route did they take? Hope they didn't knock a filling out.

Passed Go and collected £200. Lady surgeon and much less painful than last time, but then I did ask her to use some anaesthetic and not use toe nail clippers for samples 😣😣

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Recently had sciatica ( bad swing on the range one day ) and it was damned painful. However, the sauna heat and cold water treatment sounds a bit drastic . Especially at my age. Might cure the sciatica but likely do the old ticker in.😀
It's a slow recovery ( still affects gait with left foot tingles) , but getting there.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suffer from a lot of foot injuries and the advice give was to have two buckets side by side, one with iced water and the other hot.
3 minutes in each repeated 3 times couple of times a day.

My understanding is the hot increases blood flow which helps with recovery the cold helps to reduce inflammation.

Seems to help recovery but I do not expect to get a sudden dramatic recovery from it, it just one part of the overall recovery process (which is mainly anti inflammatory drugs).