First time I have ever placed in top 3!

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
So after a woeful winter and a shocking performance in my society for the last year I gritted my teeth and headed out to compete against 13 fellow golfers in a society day at Pyrford GC in Surrey.

After starting with a non-scoring 8 I managed to get through the front 9 with 13 points.

Then the magic happened. I scored on EVERY hole on the back 9! Something I have never done before and finished with 19 points on the back for a total of 32.

I was the first group in and one of my playing partners told me they panicked on the last hole as if they'd had missed their putt they'd have drawn with me. I just laughed it off thinking I'll never get anywhere with 32 anyway but very happy with my game. My best ever round.

So the group's kept coming in. There was another 33 in the 2nd group so I went to 3rd place. Then everyone came in at around 25-28 points!

When I realised I had actually finished 3rd I nearly fell off my chair! I've never placed before and I have never won a trophy before. Now I have both!

Then I sat and thought, what if I hadn't had to take a drop out of water on the last hole. My playing partners then told me if I had saved just one shot out there (and I had 9 3 putts holes!!! ) on count back I'd have won!

I know golf is never about ifs and buts and that's why we all love it so. But what if! Haha.

Anyhow I now have a trophy and know I can play a decent game if I just enjoy it and don't over pressure myself. I didn't once check where I was in comparison to my playing partners. I just noted the scores on a hole and moved on.

Made such a big difference. I've uploaded the little beauty for every to see (not bragging much! Haha)

IMAG2670.jpg

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice one.

As Bobby Jones said "Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course, the space between your ears."

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So after a woeful winter and a shocking performance in my society for the last year I gritted my teeth and headed out to compete against 13 fellow golfers in a society day at Pyrford GC in Surrey.

After starting with a non-scoring 8 I managed to get through the front 9 with 13 points.

Then the magic happened. I scored on EVERY hole on the back 9! Something I have never done before and finished with 19 points on the back for a total of 32.

I was the first group in and one of my playing partners told me they panicked on the last hole as if they'd had missed their putt they'd have drawn with me. I just laughed it off thinking I'll never get anywhere with 32 anyway but very happy with my game. My best ever round.

So the group's kept coming in. There was another 33 in the 2nd group so I went to 3rd place. Then everyone came in at around 25-28 points!

When I realised I had actually finished 3rd I nearly fell off my chair! I've never placed before and I have never won a trophy before. Now I have both!

Then I sat and thought, what if I hadn't had to take a drop out of water on the last hole. My playing partners then told me if I had saved just one shot out there (and I had 9 3 putts holes!!! ) on count back I'd have won!

I know golf is never about ifs and buts and that's why we all love it so. But what if! Haha.

Anyhow I now have a trophy and know I can play a decent game if I just enjoy it and don't over pressure myself. I didn't once check where I was in comparison to my playing partners. I just noted the scores on a hole and moved on.

Made such a big difference. I've uploaded the little beauty for every to see (not bragging much! Haha)

View attachment 10336
nice feeling isn't it, well done:whoo:

now go sort out those 9 x 3 putts and get 1st place next time:thup:

G

guest100718

Excellent, its a good feeling to get in the prizes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well done Sir! Bear in mind that 32 pts is what you'd expect to get when playing your OK/average game - and round a course you've not played before that's good going really.

So when your society is relatively small in number and the course is new to all - then playing your average game is often good enough - as you now know :)

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site

View attachment 10336

Ruddy Awesome ! nearly in the same boat as you the other week got 36 points in a comp but ended up coming 4th!

happy with my score but could of been 3rd if I did not miss a 3 inch putt on the 2nd hole! doh!

was hoping to be the 1st in my family to win a comp or have my name in lights but my wife has won two comps and is leading (by 6 shots) in the 1st round of our clubs ladies major.

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
Ruddy Awesome ! nearly in the same boat as you the other week got 36 points in a comp but ended up coming 4th!

happy with my score but could of been 3rd if I did not miss a 3 inch putt on the 2nd hole! doh!

was hoping to be the 1st in my family to win a comp or have my name in lights but my wife has won two comps and is leading (by 6 shots) in the 1st round of our clubs ladies major.

WOW!! That's impressive! Luckily HID only plays pitch and putt! :whoo: