First set of clubs??

geary22

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've got my 21st birthday coming up so i'm looking at getting a new set of clubs.. The ones i have now are my dads old clubs, i like them but their ancient. So wondering if anyone with a bit more experience can give some suggestions on what a good set of clubs is for a starter?

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It will depend on budget mate, but the most important thing is to get out and try a load of different ones, you may be surprised with what you end up with. Good luck and have a great birthday mate.

geary22

Medal Winner
Visit site
Midnight: I'm not looking to spend more than 300 really.. most likely i'll go half and half with parents for them! yeah I might have to just rent some out from driving ranges and have a go and see what i like. Ideally I want to get a full set to try and save money if thats a cheaper option, but like I said I just want some to get into it more. Thanks for the input by the way!

Oddsocks: I don't have a handicap and if i'm honest i'm not really sure on how handicaps work! I've been watching golf and been interested for just over 2 years and i've been playing irregularly for about a year & a half just on a small par 3 course local to me.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have a chat with the pro at your local club - he may well have some very good second hand sets of irons that you can pick up in your price range provided you don't mind last years models.

geary22

Medal Winner
Visit site
Have a chat with the pro at your local club - he may well have some very good second hand sets of irons that you can pick up in your price range provided you don't mind last years models.

Yeah i haven't really spoken to any pro's before so may be worth a try. yeah last years is fine im not bothered too much about the age but my dads ones are at least 10+ years haha

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ive got a set of burner irons in the forsale section here, they got me down from 22-16 so are still pretty forgiving and they were as long as the clubs i replaced them with. i only replaced because i wanted something shiney. ;)

geary22

Medal Winner
Visit site
ive got a set of burner irons in the forsale section here, they got me down from 22-16 so are still pretty forgiving and they were as long as the clubs i replaced them with. i only replaced because i wanted something shiney. ;)

Nice, i'll have a look! yeah thats the same reason as me too be honest, just want something that looks a bit more this century!

geary22

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yeah i get what you mean. They look nice and very reasonable price too! Like i said, i've only played an 18 hole course two times. I'd like to think im not terrible for a learner. My 1st 18 hole course was at Bundsay Downs near Maldon and i carded around 120-130 if i remember rightly. On the local par 3 course i tend to move between 45-55???

geary22

Medal Winner
Visit site
I might look at setting some targets in the middle of the year, i'll be playing more in the summer hopefully as i'll be off from uni. But yeah i just enjoy playing it so i'll keep doing that for now!

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm in Southend and have a set of Wilson Di7 on eBay at the moment. You are welcome to come over and try them before you bid. These clubs should fit your requirements, and definitely not break the bank.

geary22

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm in Southend and have a set of Wilson Di7 on eBay at the moment. You are welcome to come over and try them before you bid. These clubs should fit your requirements, and definitely not break the bank.

I think i may have seen them when i was looking yesterday actually! But at the urging of my dad (who's paying for the clubs) im gonna keep my irons and regrip them as i like them and just get a new driver, woods and a putter. been looking at the wilson fatshaft range for a driver 3 wood and hybrid? anyone used these before?