First Round in Forever

Visit site
It's been many many years since I last played a round and I've never had a membership or handicap. I've been on the range a fair bit over lunch times this past year and I'm keen to get out for a proper round.

I'm hoping to play next week but here's my question, which tees do I use?

Boomy

Visit site
I’d a suggest the cream ones, I’d ring ahead and try to book yourself a cream one ?? If they’re not available yet, maybe use the yellow ones.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
It's been many many years since I last played a round and I've never had a membership or handicap. I've been on the range a fair bit over lunch times this past year and I'm keen to get out for a proper round.

I'm hoping to play next week but here's my question, which tees do I use?
I wouldn’t go any further back than the yellows but if you can play off the reds, why not? It’s more appropriate to your playing level than gender, so the forward tees would be ideal to get swinging again.

Visit site
Thanks guys, I did a little googling after the initial post and many places seem to suggest selecting tees based off driving distances or 5 iron average etc.

Obviously I'm not that consistent yet but I drive the ball with a carry of between 220-240 yards. But ultimately I just want to have a nice round and see where I'm at on a proper course rather than the range. So ideally I'm looking to find out what tees I would be expected to use in order to measure my ability.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Which course is it, will you be a visitor?

If a visitor there often isn't a choice.

There are no real rules, a course could chose to have green, black, blue, orange etc.

The most common is red, yellow, white - hence the advice above.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Play off the yellows.

The red tees might be more suitable but some members at some places might get upset at a man playing from the reds.

In any event, if you can hit over 200 yards then the yellows are fine.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It will depend on the club. Some clubs have 'Tee of the Day' (most commonly Red for Ladies and Yellows for men) and you must use that.