First round as a new member

Mike79

Visit site
…and I’m quite nervous for some reason!

Haven’t been a member at a club for about 20 years (other than a summer membership in Dubai in 2008) but decided I wanted to get back into regular play and so have joined a club this year.

Tomorrow is my first round with a couple of other new members. Looking forward to it but feeling the 1st tee nerves already!

Bobthesock

Visit site

Haven’t been a member at a club for about 20 years (other than a summer membership in Dubai in 2008) but decided I wanted to get back into regular play and so have joined a club this year.

Tomorrow is my first round with a couple of other new members. Looking forward to it but feeling the 1st tee nerves already!
Take a driver, much bigger head, less likely to miss/top/ shank it

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Whatever you manage to do off the first tee, they'll have probably seen it before if they haven't actually done it before. Don't worry about it, just enjoy it.

Are you going to tell us where?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Before you tee off, tell your PPs the shot required for the opening hole and how you're going to pull it off; "This looks like bit of a right to left hole, I think I'll take 3 wood and shape a 12 yard draw down to 114 or 115 from the front of the green"

If you hit the shot they'll think you're a complete knob, if you mess it up they'll think you're a complete knob.
Either way the ice is broken and your reputation at the club is sealed.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been playing for 40 yrs but still get nervous on the first.
It’s just expectations.
Just enjoy yourself.
As Lord T says it’s AM golf.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

I feel ya. My first round when I joined Castletown in the IoM was as it turned out with the Captain, I spent the front 9 topping and duffing my way around with my partners wondering where my handicap was derived from. Got it going on the backside.

Clubhouse afterwards....."the Scotsman was pretty tidy once he realised the Captain was a normal bloke"

That was absolutely on the money :LOL:

Mike79

Visit site
Thanks all - absolutely loved it. Playing with 2 other relatively new members and it was enjoyable. A few too many 3 putts, one 4 putt two 3 off the tee and a final score of 100. Not the best but it was fun all the same.

Playing at Foxhills, on the Longcross course today.

@Banchory Buddha - does the name relate to your location? I’m originally from Aberdeen, and my grandparents owned the chipper in Banchory probably back in the 70s. Love playing the course there too

TigerBear

Visit site
Used to get terrible first tee nerves when I was a higher h.c.

Now the driver is by far the strongest and most reliable club in my bag and I don't even give it a second thought now(y)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Just enjoy it and enjoy the company. Forget first tee nerves, what until your first forum meet! ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks all - absolutely loved it. Playing with 2 other relatively new members and it was enjoyable. A few too many 3 putts, one 4 putt two 3 off the tee and a final score of 100. Not the best but it was fun all the same.

@Banchory Buddha - does the name relate to your location? I’m originally from Aberdeen, and my grandparents owned the chipper in Banchory probably back in the 70s. Love playing the course there too

Glad you enjoyed it

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

It does Mike yes, was born in Torphins and spent my first 6 years in Raemoir before moving to Echt, and then around the UK in adult life, then back to Aberdeen/shire in 2011. Just moved here last march, but only just joined this month as like many clubs in the area, the greens were ruined by winterkill last season

nyckuk

Visit site
Take a driver, much bigger head, less likely to miss/top/ shank it
Exactly what i do , 1/2 swing punch with the driver 150-170 yards normally on the fairway some where ,, Nothing worse playing your second shot just off the front of the tee box with everyone still watching

Mike79

Visit site
It does Mike yes, was born in Torphins and spent my first 6 years in Raemoir before moving to Echt, and then around the UK in adult life, then back to Aberdeen/shire in 2011. Just moved here last march, but only just joined this month as like many clubs in the area, the greens were ruined by winterkill last season

My mum was born in Torphins!

I played Banchory last May and it was still recovering from the winter with greens and fairways down by the river being reseeded. Was still a lovely round.

Mike79

Visit site
Bernard Hunt yesterday?
Longcross will straighten you up! Can get a bit soggy though!

Not played the Bernard Hunt yet. Longcross was a nice course though. Soggy , yes, and had to scrub down the trolley today to un-clog the wheels - will go back to carrying the clubs for a few more weeks I think!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not played the Bernard Hunt yet. Longcross was a nice course though. Soggy , yes, and had to scrub down the trolley today to un-clog the wheels - will go back to carrying the clubs for a few more weeks I think!
That would have been a particularly scary tee shot in that case. BH is way more open than Longcross, but actually tougher because it's longer.