First match tonight

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m playing in my first match tonight for the club it’s greensomes with unlimited drives/tee shots then alternate from there any advice I’ve never played a match for the club or greensomes before ,Just thought I’d give it all a good go this season to try and improve my game under pressure.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're representing the club as much as yourself, but lots of people feel like this heaps pressure on them to perform. It's much more important that you walk off the last green, shake hands with your opponents and everyone agrees it was a match played in the best of the spirit of sportsmanship.

Tactically regards the format there's no point belting a dozen balls off the tee to get an extra 10 yards, if you get one in the fairway play it. Let's say you're a better iron/wedge player than your buddy, it makes more sense to take his drive if you have to play the approach shot.

You're not really going to notice a whole lot of difference pressure-wise until you're holing out on the back 9. That's when the chips will be down and you'll learn something about putting under pressure. The best advise I can give you there is try not to think about what's at stake (i.e. winning a hole, or the match, or the glory of telling everyone in the clubhouse how you closed it out). All that thinking will take you away from the task at hand, which is rolling a little ball into a hole like you've done 100s of times before. Focus on the process, stroke (don't stab) the ball in staying in the present and when you've shaken hands, that's when you get to enjoy what you've just done.

Most of all. Have fun! And if you're in doubt about a rule for example, just ask, no one minds in the least if you aren't sure and want to check, they'd rather that than you unknowingly break a rule and they have to make the decision of whether to pull you or stew on it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You'll love it. Its great fun, and with people equally committed to golf. You might find the odd overly competitive or unsociable player but on the whole its a blast.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I would say don't overthink the tactics too much and play the shot you are most comfortable with. Ultimately most of these matches will tend to be people of similar levels of ability, so there won't be much in the way of shots. It usually comes down to who makes the fewest mistakes and who holes a few putts.

Also don't apologise after any poor shots. You will both put each other into bad spots and / or both leave a few 4 foot knee knockers for the other guy to drop in.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the reply’s I’m really looking forward to it all .A big learning curve at the moment for me at the moment ,I’m hoping it will help me manage pressure better when playing my own game also for the fun and social side of things .

D

Deleted member 1147

Club matches aren't a particularly pressured environment - unless you're in a inter-club knockout or scratch league.

Just relax, try to keep the ball in play and enjoy the company of your playing partner and the opposition.

If you're the home team remember to assist your opposition in getting around the course if required. I normally ask on the first tee if they know the course and to ask if they want to know where hazards are etc. It doesn;t go down well if someone wins a hole because the visitor knocks it into a pond or ditch.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just go out, relax and enjoy it. Greensomes is a decent format as you always get to hit a tee shot and so I always feel like I am playing far more than in foursomes.

Played a greensomes last weekend probably my least favorite format as it’s alternate shots after drives it felt to me that I only played a half a round and it was hard to get into any routine.

To the op just go out and enjoy it, I always say to any partner don’t apologize for any shot as we both will play poor at some time.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Played a greensomes last weekend probably my least favorite format as it’s alternate shots after drives it felt to me that I only played a half a round and it was hard to get into any routine.

To the op just go out and enjoy it, I always say to any partner don’t apologize for any shot as we both will play poor at some time.
This is my biggest fear chunking a iron and leaving my partner in the **** other than that I’m looking forward to it 🏌️‍♂️😂

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Surely foursomes would be your least favourite based on that premise?

As with foursomes, it's definitely more enjoyable all round when played with similar performance playing partners (yes, extremes of high/low can be very competitive but there's usually little by way of sharing the second shots around!)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

As with foursomes, it's definitely more enjoyable all round when played with similar performance playing partners (yes, extremes of high/low can be very competitive but there's usually little by way of sharing the second shots around!)
i'd agree on that, my partner, slow Dave is off 3 as well and its always a struggle against a low and high TBH, where as greensomes we get much further, we have made the finals and semi of both greensomes, Foursomes we do have a strategy... we make sure i don't ever tee off on 16th:ROFLMAO:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Can’t remember ever playing foursomes but yes that would be a format I wouldn’t enjoy.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Well I played and won my first match with me making a 3ft putt to win the match on the 18th green buzzing FairPlay never had such a nervous putt in my life but putted we’ll all round,I was near enough shaking coming off but loved it I’m definitely hooked played with a good bunch of boys and had some banter which was nice roll on the next one 🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I played and won my first match with me making a 3ft putt to win the match on the 18th green buzzing FairPlay never had such a nervous putt in my life but putted we’ll all round,I was near enough shaking coming off but loved it I’m definitely hooked played with a good bunch of boys and had some banter which was nice roll on the next one 🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️

Yes! That’ll taste sweet for quite some time 👍🏻

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Top man. I enjoy club matches although we play better ball matchplay and have developed some great relationships with opposition clubs. Last week away to Caversham, their boys were ripping into myself and another guy when we arrived and we were giving it back. I stayed back after with a couple of guys to have a drink with their guys and it was great banter and what it should be about