First lesson

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well I've finally booked myself in for my first lesson and I'm not really sure what to expect? I'm pretty much self taught using the Internet for tips on grip etc but having recently seen my own swing for the first time I realised I needed professional help. Anyway my lesson is for next Monday so 2 questions really;

1. Is it worth me going to the range again before the lesson or should I just wait to see what changes I'll need to work on?

2. What kind of thing should I be looking for? Start from scratch to try and build a really sound swing or ask the pro to just tweak what I already have?

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The first thing to remember is that you paid for it - so enjoy it. On the assumption that its a swing lessdon, I would suggest warming up before hand so that you dont spend (waste) the first 10 minutes doing so. The pro could suggest minorish changes or big changes, depending on how much time you have to practice them. Theres no point in taking apart what you have if you havent got the time to really work on the changes and have a series of lessons.
Go along and enjoy.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You must have an idea what you want a lesson for, make sure you explain clearly what it is you want to achieve. The Pro will probably look at your setup and ask you to hit a some balls with a mid iron, he will then be able to advise you on what he considers the best way forward.

Do warm up with some balls before you start the lesson and relax.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely warm up before the lesson starts but don't get bogged down in swing thoughts. Just try to loosen up and find a nice rythmn. Personally I wouldn't do any range work, certainly on trying different things or making changes as I'm sure the pro will make adjustments. Perhaps just play this weekend and swing easily knowing help is coming

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My 1st lesson last week my pro just watched me hit mid iron shots.......said they were decent...THEN suggested I try different grip (interlocking ) so I am trying that.....also gave me afew tips on address/stance/ball target etc....I relatively enjoyed it for my 1st lesson considering i was apprehensive and nervous.....

my lesson was for 30 mins..but he gave me 75 mins!!!

I dont think going to the range before your lesson will make any difference..

i am now looking forward to my 2nd lesson

Kev

mullet

Hacker
Visit site
Out of interest, seen as I noticed you're from Hull (and judging by the 'Airlie' part of your name, from the right side of the river) I wondered where it is you're having your lesson and who with...

From Hull meself and been thinking of investing in some one-on-one tuition in the new year as my golf habit increases...

Also, after the lesson let us know how it went and whether or not the guy is golf Hitler

All the best

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would suggest you get warmed up before the lesson or you'll just waste thie first part of the lesson.
Tell the pro whether you want the lesson to improve your contact or direction, long or short game.
And if he/she suggests a change, make sure you know why

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Out of interest, seen as I noticed you're from Hull (and judging by the 'Airlie' part of your name, from the right side of the river) I wondered where it is you're having your lesson and who with...

From Hull meself and been thinking of investing in some one-on-one tuition in the new year as my golf habit increases...

Also, after the lesson let us know how it went and whether or not the guy is golf Hitler

All the best

Excellent deduction Holmes. It's at the golf driving range on National Avenue. I'll let you know how I get on and if I found it worthwhile.

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll definately go early and hit a few balls before the lesson. I'll report back afterwards for anyone that's interested.

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
looking forward to hearing your report back as this is something i am sriously considering i need to do to help me improve. Im much the same as you self taught and copying things i seen on tv or youtube

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well as promised I'm reporting back on my first lesson.

Went to the range early as advised and hit a few balls to warm up. Was hitting the ball ok so was happy for the pro to base his advice on how I was swinging tonight. Firstly we had a little chat about what I thought about my own standard of golf and I what I was hoping to get out of the lessons. I then hit about 10 shots with my 6 iron which he filmed without really offering any opinion. Then we looked at the video of my swing from a couple of angles and talked through the reasons why I was hitting the bad shot I'd been describing. We discussed the mechanics of the swing and it all made a lot of sense when looking at the video of my swing.

Then we went through a few drills to try and get a feel for how my swing should be behaving and again he filmed me doing the drill. It really started to make sense when I could see what I was trying to achieve even though it felt really unnatural. By the end of the lesson I was hitting my 8 iron dead straight with a lower ball flight and about 130 yards carry with not even a 3/4 swing, very impressive. He has emailed me my swing and the swing drill as well as the bullet points of what I need to focus on and I'll be going back for a lesson in a few weeks to see how I'm getting on. I fully understand I'll be playing like a muppet for the next few weeks while the changes start to take hold but I'm prepared to keep going until I get it right.

Id advise anyone to go for a lesson if they want to really progress and build a sound repeatable swing, it was certainly worthwhile for me and I'm looking forward to seeing how I progress over the next few weeks.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Great to hear.
It sounds as if he identified your problem, showed it to you on video, then suggested a change which made sense. Perfick

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Really makes sense when you can actually see what the pro is telling you. Just been to the range it's already starting to click. I was massively coming over the top and swaying to the right but now I'm rotating around my core and concentrating on keeping my body over the ball. Still feels a bit strange but definitely worth the effort and that huge out to in swing will hopefully be a thing of the past. I even used your sponge drill idea to make sure my swing path wasnt straying outside.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great news that you found a good pro that gives you something to use and refer back to after the lesson which will help you. I know from experience I tend to slide back into old habits but can usually see it on a video and find the cure my pro gave me which gets me back on track. Stick with it

TheMetalMan0

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds great! I've got some lessons on my list to Santa so fingers crossed I'll be having some lessons in the new year. Looking forward to them now :) (assuming Santa comes up with the goods)

mullet

Hacker
Visit site
Sounds great! I've got some lessons on my list to Santa so fingers crossed I'll be having some lessons in the new year. Looking forward to them now :) (assuming Santa comes up with the goods)

I'm sure Santa (or the missus) won't disappoint providing you haven't been too subtle about it. Our old lady misses no opportunity to encourage me out of the house so I think some golfing goodies are coming my way this Chrimbo.