Final qualifying @ RCP.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Club has been contacted asking to provide spotters for final qualifying at RCP as the rough has been allowed to grow up.
Can't remember them asking before and the scores were never that low there before.

Is this happening elsewhere or a local decision?

We have been contacted by Royal Cinque Prots GC to see if any Canterbury members might be interested in helping with Final Qualifying at Deal this year.

With the rough being so penal, they are looking to increase the number of ball spotters and introduce some walking forecaddies, if possible. The details are as follows

Last edited:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I know a few people at St Annes Old Links which is also a Open Qualifier and they've said that the rough is brutal at the moment. Usually by now it's long but wispy and a bit burnt out so you have a chance of finding it - but with how wet its been this year its much thicker and juicier than usual. They've said if you're off the fairway you're toast.

Perhaps RCP have the same issue hence deploying spotters instead of cutting the rough back and opening the course up?

D

Deleted member 29109

I know a few people at St Annes Old Links which is also a Open Qualifier and they've said that the rough is brutal at the moment. Usually by now it's long but wispy and a bit burnt out so you have a chance of finding it - but with how wet its been this year its much thicker and juicier than usual. They've said if you're off the fairway you're toast.

Perhaps RCP have the same issue hence deploying spotters instead of cutting the rough back and opening the course up?
This is pretty much what my course is like now. The long fescue is long. But there is an accompanying bottom layer of very thick, juicy grass.

Some areas of the course might as well be penalty areas.

D

Deleted member 25575

My course is like that too rough is brutal! Some areas it’s just a no go, if your ball goes in there only 5 yards off the fairway you might as well hit again as your not finding it or if you’re lucky and do you’re not hitting out

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ours too. But by the way some members moan, you’d think that our situation is all down to negligence and poor work planning by our head greenkeeper and his team.

AussieKB

Visit site
I was at Burnham and Berrow last week.

Never have I seen the fairways so narrow and the rough so high.

I'd be suprised if they are "not" asking for similar there.
Played there last month, do not miss the fairway, lost 1 ball and struggled on the front nine, but shot 2 over the back nine, but also not off the back tees.

evemccc

Visit site
RCP is a brute at the best of times

Played it in the summer of ‘21 and lost more balls than the rest of rounds that year combined 🤣

Played it in the winter a year ago and I didn’t lose a ball. Not saying I scored great, but I don’t remember losing a ball

The biggest difference between summer and winter links golf is the rough, perhaps

Singlefiguregokfer

Banned
Visit site
I’ve recently played JCB and Hollinwell. The thick stuff at both is beyond difficult. Finding balls is nigh on impossible, but if you manage, moving the ball is even harder.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played Hollinwell last month just before the Brabazon and did not find the rough that bad.....did not lose a ball.
One month at the moment can make a huge difference. I went away for a week when there was warm wet weather and could not believe the difference in the rough on my return. Now is the height of the growing season with the sun at it's highest in the Northern hemisphere.

sunshine

Visit site
Played Hollinwell last month just before the Brabazon and did not find the rough that bad.....did not lose a ball.
A month ago is a long time. We are in peak rough growing season, that time of the year when members complain incessantly about the greenkeepers :ROFLMAO: