Few pics of Polkemmet.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember playing there on it's opening day way back in the early 80s as I knew a lot of folk in the West Lotian Council Dept of Liesure & Recreation. It had the makings of a good course but I always thought the plan was to make it 18 holes. It always seemed to be a pity that the driving range faces West into the prevailing wind and setting sun.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The trumpet thing....is this the course at the left hand side of the M8 as you head to Glasgow??

If so it has always looked from the road that it had 'potential'??

DCB

Visit site
Used to meet up with the guys I worked with at Polkemmet for a quick nine holes on a Friday afternoon. Some rather contrived holes on it though. Best hole would have to be the wee par3 9th. A few of the others were in need of a good attack with a chain saw IMO ;)

Not played it for at least five years, so maybe it's changed...... probably not though.

Saw two young gentlemen of the shell suit variety using a bottle cap as a tee once. Very innovative, they'd obviously used the bottle of tonic wine (specially fermented by Monks I'm told) as a ball marker on the previous green but forgotten to lift it after they holed out :eek:oo:

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't played Polkemmet since I was a bairn, it was fun when I was knocking it around then :)

Do they still have the old steam engine that you can play on?

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Polkemmet yesterday and rather enjoyed myself. It was a bit slow but otherwise quite enjoyable. I think that they greenstaff need to attack the knee high rough that's not far off the fairway. It's very punitive and really not helpful to high handicappers and increasing the speed of play.

Stand out for me was the short par 4 8th, it's a great fun little hole. I still took a five though, but that's because I was 3 off the tee ;)

Octagon

Visit site
I used to play it as a junior, haven't been there for probably 25 years now. Good memories of putting your ball in the chute, waiting your turn to play, then bricking it as everyone else who was waiting watched you tee off. I seem to remember putting some balls over the 9th into the car park.Thanks for the pics.