Fed up with football

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm really getting into golf at the moment – largely due to the fact that I have completely lost interest in my first love - football. After England's performance in the World Cup I can't even be bothered to tune in for international matches. Top-flight football is in a mess - player behaviour has reached an all-time low due to a lack of respect for the referee, opposition, the crowd... Diving has destroyed the art of defending and cynical fouling is stopping players show their creativity. So I've turned off and tuned into golf instead. The Ryder Cup was incredible and the recent battle for the Order of Merit had me enthralled. I never thought I'd say it but golf's a better game.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
You have seen the light Golf Donkey-Golf really is the beautiful game,played in the spirit sport should be!You Just need look at the Chelsea Barcelona game and the diving that went on to see the direction that football has gone in! I just hope that golf is not loosing its traditions- with the money and sponsorships now a days! are we loosing the real characters that make the game because of the corporate side of things?

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wise words, Paul! But I fear that the evil of money may already be corrupting our great game too.
Used to follow the tours avidly but have lost interest a bit this year. Find it vaguely immoral that any old nonentity on the PGA Tour can pop up for one week (when the big boys can't be bothered because they've already got more money than they know what to do with!) pocket $900,000 and then drift back to total obscurity, made for life if they so wished!
Too much money for too many mediocre players I say!

Shooter_McGavin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
as a result I think the European tour will become more popular with audiences-especially as you wont be able to wath the PGA on Sky Sports-less money, a few more characters, a variation of courses and weather and regular top players- i for one prefer it to the US tour!

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
Interesting Golf Donkey - so, if you had the choice of a greenside seat for Tiger winning the 2008 USPGA to clinch the first grand slam since Bobby Jones or a seat in South Africa to see England win the 2010 World Cup final, which would you choose ? Hypothetical obviously - to be honest a Tiger grand slam looks the more likely of the two on current form...

JohnWT

Medal Winner
Visit site
Honestly? I would rather be watching England win the World Cup. But if it were Luke Donald on the final leg of a grand slam...

FergusB

Hacker
Visit site
I agree with JohnWT.

My view is that golf is a fantastic televised sport but it's not the greatest live sport, save perhaps for the Ryder Cup. I'd rather watch the culmination of a major championship on the TV because you get a full picture of what's happening. Who's in the running, just what that missed three footer means in the wider context of the competition. Watching sports like football and cricket live you see the whole event unfold. In golf you just get snippets.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd prefer to see Tiger winning a true Grand Slam than see anyone in the World Cup Final to be honest. I think the World Cup has lost any real value, dominated as it is by prima donna players and cash.