fear of winning

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know odd title but didnt know of any other way to put it.
For the first year Ive been playing well in the clubs Rabbits Knockouts Im now in the 1/4 finals.
My question is I seem to be able to play well up to the point where I only need to sink a putt to win the match but then Iseem to become afraid of the out come. My hands shake and I sweat and basically struggle to stay calm. Last night I was dormy 4 but it took me to the 18th before I managed to close the match. Is this a normal reaction or am I just odd. :}

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not odd at all. You need to learn how to win and control your emotions over the final few holes. You need to experience it to learn how to deal with it. It can't be learned. At least you are putting yourself into the mix. Try and stay calm. take one shot at a time and perhaps try breathing out just before hitting the shot

SoapbarSE

Hacker
Visit site
Pick up a copy of 'putting out of your mind' by bob rotella, full of useful things to deal with fear on the greens, completely changed my attitude towards putting, can't recommend enough

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It can be hard to cross the line sometimes but as long as you force your opponent to beat you rather than just rolling over then you gotta hold your head up.

Sometimes you have to weigh up your fear of winning against your fear of losing... then just knock the putt in :thup:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
You will find even more that with putts to win you will see break that is not there, feel the need to carry that bunker from 160 yards on the crucial approach or thread the needle with the driver on the crucial tee shot.

I always try and practice pressure shots on the range or the practice green. I create situations and records to beat, this helps train me for when I need to do it on the course.

On the course I then try and play the percentage shot and make my opponent the one who has to take risks to win. If they come off well done to them, they deserve the hole. If we tie and its dormie then I might offer to buy the pints after the round :D

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its not fear either imo. Its the excitement and wanting to win so much that makes people nervous i reckon. Once youve won a couple of things it will probably get a bit better (Not that i would know yet though :))

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree with all the others. It's perfectly normal, but, as you play more and put yourself in a position to win more, you will find closing out games easier as experience of winning is a learning matter.

Its no different in a stroke play competition, you have 3 holes to play and know you are holding a decent card - how do you play the last 3 holes? In my view, the same way that you played the previous 15, be that gung ho, cautious or however, but for me, I wouldn't change the good things that have put me in a winning position.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I just posted on another thread - yes you feel excited but doesn't that make you feel alive too?! When do you get that kind of rush in your every day life? Thats why you compete, to get yourself in the position to win - and seal the deal. Youre obviously playing well to get there, so as you say a little help over the line is what youre after.

The thing I've tried to do is when the winning putt arrives try to think of it as a ball, a few feet of grass and a hole. Then hold the putter like you would a baby bird, its strangling the grip that introduces tension to your hands - arms and shoulders, making it impossible to make a smooth stroke (usually end up pulling it). Different things work for different folk, but youre never going to eliminate the nerves so dont even try, just learn to deal with them better.