FCT adjustments?

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As covered under a seperate thread a while back I would like to get a higher flight from my driver, even more so now there is virtually no roll.

I've experimented with opening the face at address to add loft, but that just seems to turn a slight fade into a humongous slice.

So would I be able to adjust the shaft position on my R9 460? (it doesn't have the moveable weights, just shaft position), to say a draw or left flight and then open the face to add loft? Or would the nett result be the same as before?

I suppose I could go down the range and try it for myself, but I wouldn't trust the consistency of my swing with driver in hand to give a definitive result.......okay, okay, it's bloomin freezing out there!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldn't suggest opening the face.
Yes, you'll add loft but also the sidespin.
Has your ball position sneaked back in your stance again?

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No Bob, I make sure the ball position is well forward, to be fair with the shaft set to neutral position and gripping the driver with the face in the 'normal' as opposed to open position it goes pretty straight, a bit of fade on the poorer swings which I can live with.

Was simply after getting a higher flight, my pro has been getting me to keep more weight on my left leg during the backswing and moving the weight further to the left on the downswing which possibly isn't helping the flight. But I was getting stuck on the back foot which was causing a slice.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I understand you don't want to get stuck on your back foot.
The problem with the cure is not only the weight moves forward, so does the head. In fact in many cases the head gets passed the ball which produces a downward hit into the ball causing low ball flights and the odd sky'd shot.
Rather than moving too much weight onto your back foot in the first place, try and stay more centred on the ball with less movement to your right foot.
As you begin the downswing drive you body round but keep your head behind the ball to encourage a slight upward attack as the clubhead flashes passed your face.
If I remember correctly, you have enough loft in your driver to knock it miles in the air. 10.5? :D

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's 9.5 deg Bob.

You describe what I tried to better than me. That's exactly what he has had me working on, he coaches keeping weight distributed more evenly and then "staying connected" through the swing. Took me a while to figure out what he meant by that, but got it sussed now, he is basically trying to get an in to square to in swing path going, and whereas I was swinging too much with my arms I am getting the body to be more involved.

I was also taking the club away too much to the inside i.e. at horizontal on the backswing the clubhead was way behind an extension of the line of my feet, thereby getting very flat and coming over the top - this with irons too. :eek:

But can't get the pesky thing going very high! (with the driver)