Favourite commentary

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What's your favourite piece of commentary, sporting or otherwise?
Mine's a tie between Test match special and Olympic Hockey

TMS - Jonners was commentating, Botham was batting. Botham went to hook a ball and while trying to step over the stumps, knocked them off. Jonners immediately said "Oh Botham couldn't get his leg over" at which point the co-commentators collapsed in floods as did Jonners when he realised. I was driving down the M4 when I heard this and nearly crashed.

The hockey one was at the Olympics when the British Men won Gold (1988) During a passage of play the Brits moved the ball in front of the German goal and scored with ease. Barry davis came out with the classic "Where were the Germans? [pause] And quite frankly, who cares?"
Quality...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When I saw the title the hockey one was the one that came rushing to mind. Barry Davies at his best. He also came out with a classic football one when Hoddle volleyed a screamer against Man Utd. Hoddle... interesting....very interesting

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
England vs W.Indies cricket match...

Peter Willey facing Michael Holding

"The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey"

Athletics from the 70's I think

After Lasse Viren had won a race

"He opened his legs and showed his class"

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Pot black-1846
For those watching in black and white, the blue is next to the pink ball :D

And anything that came from Stuart Hall while commentating on It's a knock out.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it was Ian Robertson who did the classic commentary on Wilkinson's drop goal winning the world cup. A world cup victory and a chance to stick to fingers up to the Aussies, heaven (also the most drunk I have been at 9.00 in the morning)

big_russ

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
12 of the finest (unintentional) double-entendres ever aired on British TV and radio:

1. Ted Walsh - Horse Racing Commentator - 'This is really a lovely horse. I once rode her mother.'

2. New Zealand Rugby Commentator - 'Andrew Mehrtens loves it when Daryl Gibson comes inside of him.'

3. Pat Glenn, weightlifting commentator - 'And this is Gregoriava from Bulgaria . I saw her snatch this morning and it was amazing!'

4. Harry Carpenter at the Oxford-Cambridge boat race 1977 - 'Ah, isn't that nice. The wife of the Cambridge President is kissing the Cox of the Oxford crew.'

5. US PGA Commentator - 'One of the reasons Arnie (Arnold Palmer) is playing so well is that, before each tee shot, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my god !! What have I just said??'

6. Carenza Lewis about finding food in the Middle Ages on 'Time Team Live' said: 'You'd eat beaver if you could get it.'

7. A female news anchor who, the day after it was supposed to have snowed and didn't, turned to the weatherman and asked, 'So Bob, where's that eight inches you promised me last night?' Not only did HE have to leave the set, but half the crew did too, because they were laughing so hard!

8. Steve Ryder covering the US Masters: 'Ballesteros felt much better today after a 69 yesterday.'

9. Clair Frisby talking about a jumbo hot dog on 'Look North' said: 'There's nothing like a big hot sausage inside you on a cold night like this. '

10 Mike Hallett discussing missed snooker shots on 'Sky Sports': 'Stephen Hendry jumps on Steve Davis's misses every chance he gets.'

11. Michael Buerk on watching Philippa Forrester cuddle up to a male astronomer for warmth during BBC1's UK eclipse coverage remarked: 'They seem cold out there. They're rubbing each other and he's only come in his shorts.'

12.. Ken Brown commentating on golfer Nick Faldo and his caddie Fanny Sunneson lining-up shots at the Scottish Open: 'Some weeks Nick likes to use Fanny; other weeks he prefers to do it by himself.'