Farnham Golf Club 'devastated' by trophy raid

V

vkurup

Just saw this on BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-19851605

-----------
The head of a golf club in Surrey says he is "devastated" after 19 historic trophies and cups - many solid silver - were stolen on Tuesday evening.

Farnham Golf Club secretary Grahame Cowlishaw says the items - some almost 100 years old - are irreplaceable.

Hooded and masked burglars were captured on CCTV removing a patio door, smashing a glass cabinet and fleeing.

The haul includes the Silver Frigate Trophy, the 116-year-old club's emblem thought to cost £100,000 to replace.

Mr Cowlishaw said the burglars took just 90 seconds to carry out the raid in Blighton Lane at about 20:45 BST.

-----------
Feel sorry for the club... I hope the recover the trophies intact. Anyone from Farnham here?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
aye well - I'm turning up for our monthly medal tomorrow for a 9:22am tee off - maybe try and keep it like a normal medal - but...:(

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
btw - should add - makes me feel like my own home has been burgled. My club is important to me - this is awful for us - can't tell you how upset I am - and I've only been a member for 9yrs.

D

Deleted Member 1156

At the end of the day, a golf club is all about the people and the camaraderie. Sure this is devasting for the members and I really feel for you guys but chin up, I'm sure this will bring you all closer together and the club will go from strength to strength :thup:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I was a member there for about 25 years, and Grahame Cowlishaw became the Pro shortly after I joined.Top man, and he will be devasted. The Pro shop was ram raided more than once when I was there. A friend of mine gave one of the Cups for the Juniors to play for, and used to present it to the winner when she was well into her 80's.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
we all know these trophies will now be melted down and sold to a dodgy pawn shop/jewellers,seems to be a growing trend of this type of crime as the price of gold and silver rockets,how many clubs have very expensive silver trophies stuck in a glass cupboard that can be opened with a pen knife.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well we were a pretty quiet bunch this morning. Not so much angry - just very sad. You kind of feel you've failed in your role as temporary custodians of a club when this sort of thing happens. But there is nothing we can do now. No point in 'if we had done this or that' or recriminations - the Silver Frigate and the others are gone But I had a nice medal round (rubbish score but fun) and met up with some of my ladies ;)

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very sad news about the break in. I used to go to school very close to the golf club just up from the train station on Waverley lane.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The alternative - as at my previous club - is to let winners take their trophies home for the year. You risk home loss - but not the lot. And it's always nice visiting a club and seeing their trophies.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Scum. If the burglars are caught then they should be melted down. It is not just the trophies that are gone but some of the clubs history. What about the people that have their names engraved on them, in some clubs I am sure that this is the only record of past winners.