Falling in love again... until I get to the green

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It has to be a putting lesson. No point second guessing yourself. I have one every season just todouble check my basics. You aren't tied to the pro(s) at your new club so shop around and see if anyone can recommend a teacher. Word of mouth is a great indicator. See if you and him can sort your technique out and then talk about pre-shot routines. In the meantime try Putting out of your mind by Bob Rotella

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be a good putter I think you have to first think and believe that you are a good putter.

Agree 100% with that. Putting is the best part of my game. Feel if its on the green its in the hole. Ok don't sink all of them. But I feel I can and thats the differance, I think.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Thanks Bob!

Why is it that I never appreciated tempo?! You are very measured, I'm pretty sure I have a much much quicker take away, it's like once I start the swing I want to get it over with. I'll try this drill at the weekend, appreciate you going to the trouble of making a video, top man.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
mahseve and Homer agreed I think it's a no-brainer but I'm glad I won't be going to the pro with my old perception of how good my technique was! Yeah I can rock my shoulders and hit a straight putt but my timing is awful. If what Bob is doing in that video is right (and I'll wager it is), then what I was doing was wrong wrong wrong.

Big thanks to all who contributed, watch this space. :)

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm certainly no expert but a couple of things I do is use the line on the ball to indicate the line I want to set the ball off on. I then set my feet and shoulders parallel to that line. Then I try and make sure my weights is slightly on the balls of my feet so I'm "over" the ball and my shoulders can rock back and forth. Then for my putting stroke weight I take the putter back to just inside my right foot for short putts, just outside my right foot for medium putts and then for long putts another 6 inches or so. The important part is for the follow through to go the same distance as your takeaway and keep the tempo the same. Just focus on the line of the ball and resist the urge to look up until you ensured your follow through has stopped at the right place.

Didn't realise I made it so complicated actually.

We must have been reading the same tips! almost a carbon copy of my putting routine.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I cannot say how much you should think about getting a V-Easy but here is one example.

I have hardly played golf since August (2 range trips), I have though been using my V-Easy and putting balls in the living room when waiting for things in the microwave etc. I used a V-Easy all last year to help me get down from 15 to 12, including two second places in trophy board comps within a week of each other (and a 2 shot drop in handicap between the two comps!)

I went out for a round at a par 3 (90-135 yard holes), shot +4 on the first with a trip into a lake and +1 for the second go round. I got these scores mainly because I only missed two putts under 5 feet all day, I also chipped well because of the V-Easy! I had only one birdie but the amount of times I go up and down or two putted was 90% due to the V-Easy practice I had been doing (10% luck :D )

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I cannot say how much you should think about getting a V-Easy but here is one example.

I have hardly played golf since August (2 range trips), I have though been using my V-Easy and putting balls in the living room when waiting for things in the microwave etc. I used a V-Easy all last year to help me get down from 15 to 12, including two second places in trophy board comps within a week of each other (and a 2 shot drop in handicap between the two comps!)

I went out for a round at a par 3 (90-135 yard holes), shot +4 on the first with a trip into a lake and +1 for the second go round. I got these scores mainly because I only missed two putts under 5 feet all day, I also chipped well because of the V-Easy! I had only one birdie but the amount of times I go up and down or two putted was 90% due to the V-Easy practice I had been doing (10% luck :D )

Have one chap! It is a great aid, no doubt, really demonstrates what it is you should be doing. My problem seems to be that I have been swinging with the all the precision and finesse of a crazed spider monkey, who, incidentally, would probably still come in under 40 putts. Think I've been over-thinking it, going to try this tempo drill and will get a lesson soon...

Sounds like you had a good season, I'm hoping for a good one myself! First Q is April 7, then the fun starts (will be my first year with a h/c, looking forward to it)

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get rid of your Odyssey putter. Had the exact same problems and put it down to the hot face on the odyssey putter, couldnt get a concistant strike from it. Bought a TM Suzuka Rossa, which looks exactly the same as the #5, but doesnt have that stupid hot face and now I'm putting like genius :cool:

I have the TM Suzuka too, it doesnt make a blind bit of difference to me wether I use it or my ping anser or my odyssey. Luckily putting is probably the strongest part of my game, I dont believe that the putter makes too much difference, I often chop and change on a whim.

If you dont have any feel on the greens you need to put in the hours on the practice green.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds like you had a good season, I'm hoping for a good one myself! First Q is April 7, then the fun starts (will be my first year with a h/c, looking forward to it)

Must have missed the post where you said you did, I have been following this thread, apologies. I agree it is a great aid.

I had a cracking season, no as good as some on here though! pity I had to give the game up

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
On a serious note thanks Bob. Home now and working on my tempo and putting much better. Useful to see an example from someone I know is quite handy with a flatstick...

...except when he's putting at Thetford :whistle: ;)