Faldo your evaluations?

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Well fellas good or bad as a captain?? For me he was beaten by a better bunch of putters and star men (Garcia paddy stenson not playing fantastically).
Azinger came accross as a fine captain but then every winning one does.
Think its time for Nick to go back to the booth and stay there who next for Europe captain?

edited to say that I dont think he has been very good lose aside,bad at interviews and press conferances and not great at selections either.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Up until the OPen I'd have said Sandy for the next one but I think he shot himself down by walking off.

What about Olazabal? Or as its in Wales get Woosie to do it again.

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
a ryder cup we couldn't lose is comprehensively thrown away

expect the papers will butcher him tomoroow

lets hope the faldo for a knighthood stuff now gets put to bed

...and why was his son riding around in the buggy with him on the final day?

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
the son thing is a total joke.....this is a professional sport not a playground.His lack of assistants may not of lost it for Europe but it certainatly didnt win it either!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To be honest I think Faldo could have done better but I don't buy this thing about the Captain having to get the palyers up for the contest. These guys are professional golfers and they know what they had to do and for the most part they didn't do it. Faldo can't take all the blame but as i've said in another post, the loading of our better players low in the draw backfired badly.

Sure the papers will crucify Faldo tomorrow but ......

We had to lose it again sometime.

Faldo was on a hiding to nothing - if he won then it would have been " well we should have won it so no big deal". But as he's lost it'll be " lets nail him up".

Lets just face it, Faldo was the guy in charge, he made the decisions and he'll have to stand by it. He was going to get stick no matter what.........

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He looked nervous because he couldn't control events and his picks on the final day were in the wrong order for me personally.

Let's face it there's no love lost between him and the press so they will no doubt stick the knife in deep.

His two picks performed especially Poulter (who would have said that at the start?) we got beat because they played better simple as.

As for the next guy may I suggest Jacklin if only to keep him out the commentary box

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Murray saying 14 all would be a fine result for the game as its been so tight......well I am sorry Murray but we have been roasted...tight??we have not looked close to keeping the trophy all week and the 4-5 point margin is more than fair.14 all?? no wonder you commentate and dont play any more!!

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
His picks done ok - Casey maybe not firing on all guns but neither were others, paddy, sergio...

His pairings? can always argue the toss. Basically, as already said by others - Europe were outplayed by better players on the day(s).

As for next Captain, Olly seems an obvious choice. I would like to see Woosnam asked again to do it in his own land. Sandy Lyle should be involved but Captain - how involved is he with the Tour / players? Would he be any better a choice than Faldo?

Andy_Saxton

Visit site
Faldo became world no1 by controlling every aspect of his game with great precision. When it comes down to something that he ultimatly couldn't control (other players) then he came a little short.

If Soren Hansen would have won then I think that we would have snook it. Would have won the next 3 or 4 matches and then relying on Paddy to get a result.

I think that if he had picked Clarke or Monty instead of Casey then we would have had much more of a chance. He seemed set on Casey from the start but Poulter proved to everyone that he deserved to be there. Casey did nothing to prove to me that he should have been in the team infront of Clarke.

I hope they give the captancy to Sandy but I too think he blem it when he walked off in the open. We will see..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wasn't overly impressed by his captaincy. Not enough staff on the ground telling him what was going on. He pandered to his family at the opening ceremony and it seemed that he used the event to try and be a big man to his son.

Not sure there was much he could do once he picked the line up for today. No one would have lived with Boo (29 to the turn) and Garcia was a joke. The others I thought battled well and some (Poulter and Rose beating Mickleson) produced good performances.

We had to lose it some time but I think the damage was doen yesterday dropping Westwood and Gracia. I'm sure the press will crucify Faldo. As captain I'd give him 5/10

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not so pessimistic as some.

At the end of the day it was actually very, very close. Casey winning instead of drawing and suddenly the last 4 matches mean something. Sergio getting hammered didn't even enter into my mind, especially against the guy who'd played worst all week.

Faldo. Thought he made a few mistakes but his star players (Padraig and Sergio) especially didn't play well so that's not his fault.

Lyle for captain. No chance. Out of touch and out of favour. It should be Olly for me. Still on tour and greatly respected.

At the end of the day I think the home advantage secured the cup this time. And isn't it great we have blooded some great new Ryder Cuppers like McDowell, Rose, Hansen and even Oliver Wilson?

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As it turned out Casey put up a sterling fight on the last day even though his general performance was rather suspect. Putting out Garcia first was a definite mistake. I mean how else but top heavy would you expect the Yanks & Zinger to put his men out. Garcia is a great player, but his volitile nature cost us & cost us big. As for Westwood, he clearly missed his best mate in Darren Clarke & if there were to have been a different pick than Casey, then I should have been Clarke. But as pointed out there were plenty of players that this week were not ontop of their game when it really mattered.

But one thing must be remembered every maatch could have gone a different way at any point. Yes we can deal in if's but's & maybe's till the cows come home & back out again even, but really a lot of matches came down to the wire.

Faldo did the best that he thought he could.I certainly don't agree with some of the decisions as far as picks, or picks for each match. Yes he does like to be in control & he clearly was out of sorts when he should have been getting himself involved, almost Seve'like, instead of rhuminating at the edge of the crowds. But Faldo did put so much effort in he has to be given credit for his hard work.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let's face it, Faldo got the captaincy on merit, there are few if any that can match his record in the Ryder Cup. That said being a star performer doesn't make you a captain, especially in golf where you have to be very self centred most of the time.

He had very little choice as to who played in his team. I don't recall anyone criticising his choice of Casey, who has been only so-so and nearly everyone criticising his choice of Poulter who has been the star.

OK, some of his pairings were off the wall, but you are looking for a leader and a solid support in each pair - he didn't get it, few of the 'leaders' performed well. Garcia and Harrington never got into it at all - they had their moments but it was all salvaging. Karlsson never got going till the afternoon of day two, Westwood was lacklustre.
Too, he never had an inspirational 'playing' captain - Harrington was supposed to do that job.

I believe he gambled the way he did in the singles because he believed that it would all come down to the wire, but in truth we were outplayed. The big question is was this a vindication of Azingers insistance on four picks and only using form players - I think it was and we need to change our selection policy. (That would have got Clarke into the field but I'm not convinced he would have made that much difference - if any.)

Poulter, McDowell and Rose come out of this as great RC prospects for the future, all potential leaders. Wilson and Casey as backers.

As to future Captain?
Lyle - not a hope, he lost a lot of respect from the golfing public with his walkout.
Ollie - seems the obvious choice but he also seems a very quiet man, and has he been 'damaged' by this.
Monty - too soon, he's got to get the idea of playing in the RC out of his head first.
Woosnam - has there ever been a Captain get a second crack after this long? but, it might come down to this.

B

birdieman

Bottom line - it's a 50/50 shot to win the RC, who putts better on the day.
Faldo did absolutley fine, was completely vindicated in picking Poulter and Casey.
I would be quite happy if he was Captain again next time, why does it have to change? - seem to remember Gallacher and Jacklin having a few goes at it. :D
Woosnam didn't have a clue and couldn't orate at all but luckily his players were better 2 years ago.
I would get Langer back again personally, he knows what it's about.
Monty might do it but remember he'll be playing in the next 2 - apparently! :rolleyes:
All the families were there, so what if Faldo's boy was there? Nice touch I'd say. :D

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Faldo did absolutley fine, was completely vindicated in picking Poulter and Casey.
And people laughed at me standung up and saying poulter was a great pick - I also (wrongly?) thought Casey was going to be solid.

Monty might do it but remember he'll be playing in the next 2 - apparently
I DETEST this ignoramus, so ignorant self centered totally wrong for the team captaincy.

All the families were there, so what if Faldo's boy was there? Nice touch I'd say
Why not take your son around - zinger was taking others about including his wife. Its a family game, and the RC is team work - thus it gave the correct bonding message.

To be honest I was let down by Padraig and Sergio - but it was one of the best comps I have seen. The Americans simply played fantastic - with birdies dripping everywhere.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tend to agree with Ken_A, especially about Monty lol.

I find it a little disappointing to hear such condemnation of this team and Faldo.

This was a fired up American team on home ground and having been a little overwhelmed last time and were up for pay back.

When you look at the individual efforts during the RC Europe played exceptional golf (that would have won other RCs convincingly)against startling golf and good fortune of the American team who played in some ways unbeatable golf.

The margins hole for hole and game for game were so close that only the spectacular or the lucky won it.

Overall faldo chose well and the performance of those chosen is the only thing that can be questioned, yet the scoring level was outstanding.

Give them a break and a hearty cheer I say.

big_russ

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think if we sit back and take a look at what has happened over the past weekend we will realese that not one of our players played poorly, it was just a case of the guys that did loose were up against better players on the day.
I dont think that we can criticise any of the players or Faldo for the role that he played, the Americans were just a better team.
As much as it pains me to say this, well done USA you deserved your victory.

On a final note:- Ian Poulter-Top man

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
When I had a look at the singles list I was disappointed. Firstly we had to turn around two games just to get level and playing the clearly out of form Sergio first was not the way to do it IMO. We had no choice but to put out the best first in order to pull that back in order to put some pressure on the US team.

I’m not saying the outcome would have been any different, probably not, but I see it like a putt that cannot be short. If you’re short you loose, if it’s in, you carry on. I think Faldo’s singles line up was a short putt.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
When I had a look at the singles list I was disappointed. Firstly we had to turn around two games just to get level and playing the clearly out of form Sergio first was not the way to do it IMO.
I agree. Surely the correct tactic was putting the best players out first to pull back the deficit. Maybe someone like Garcia, Westwood or Harrington at the end in case it went to the wire. It's easy to criticise, I know, but I don't think Faldo was a good captain.