F1 2022

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d imagine that if the suspension were stiff enough to overcome the downforce that causes porpoising, it might be too stiff to do its actual job to the detriment of drive ability and traction?
I am specifically talking about rising rate springs - ie. ones which get stiffer as they compress. It should be possible to engineer springs that have the desired flexibility at cornering speeds when they aren't compressed too much, and only get ultra-stiff (approaching lock-up) at top speed down the straight as the floor gets so low to the ground that the downforce would stall.

I’m not an engineer so I can’t answer your question. However, you’d think something as simple as that would already have been considered.
Nor am I an engineer, and I agree you'd expect that the F1 teams would have already thought of it. But I still can't see why it wouldn't work.

Do the regs dictate which type of springs are permissible? Active suspension certainly isn’t (not that it’s your suggestion), but just thinking what is and isn’t prescribed
Given how prescriptive the regs are, I guess it's possible that only constant rate springs are permitted.

EDIT: Just checked the 2022 tech regs. Article 10.4.3 states:
10.4.3 The only permitted suspension elements are :
a. Springs - the primary purpose of which is to absorb and release energy in a
monotonically increasing load relationship with relative deflection between its nodes ...
Now I can't say I fully understand this, but "monotonically" refers to something that varies in a way that never increases or decreases.
Perhaps this means that springs do indeed have to be constant rate.

Last edited:

greenone

Visit site
OK, that's a good point. However, every explanation of porpoising I've seen talks about the floor getting too low and grounding. I've never heard anyone mention lack of rigidity in the floor.
Flutter can have the same effect. Without seeing the data you can't rule anything out. Flutter is also something isn't modelled in CFD or necessarily shows up in a wind tunnel test.

This video is a good example of what flutter can do.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Flutter can have the same effect. Without seeing the data you can't rule anything out. Flutter is also something isn't modelled in CFD or necessarily shows up in a wind tunnel test.

This video is a good example of what flutter can do.

This looks different to me, this looks like movement in the bodywork (in F1 terms) whereas the issue seems to be suspension movement in the F1 car with no obvious "fluttering" in the body work? Or would it not be perceptible?

greenone

Visit site
This looks different to me, this looks like movement in the bodywork (in F1 terms) whereas the issue seems to be suspension movement in the F1 car with no obvious "fluttering" in the body work? Or would it not be perceptible?
It would be the edges of the floor, I wouldn't imagine they'd have to flutter very much to have a big effect. I'm not an expert on the laying of composites but the first thing that struck me when I saw the revised merc was there seemed a fair distance between the floor edge and the bodywork and how they would make it stiff enough for the floor not be be moving around under load.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mercedes need to get a grip on their issues or this season will be out of Hamiltons grasp very quickly. Not helping Russell in his first season with them and a driver with a huge potential being held back

Jason.H

Visit site
Hamilton looked totally lost after qualifying. As fast as Mercedes develops their car the teams ahead will be doing the same. Great pole for Perez. ?

Swango1980

Visit site
What were those missile attacks nearby all about on the Friday!? Who was responsible for them? The only thing they discussed on Sky was that they happened, and the F1 teams were convinced everything was safe.

D

Deleted member 15344

What were those missile attacks nearby all about on the Friday!? Who was responsible for them? The only thing they discussed on Sky was that they happened, and the F1 teams were convinced everything was safe.

It’s the ignored on going war between Saudi , UAE against Yemen -attacks where from Yemen

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
He said they tried something different in p3 that seems to work for him ,but clearly not when it came to qualy. Going to be a long race from 16th
Didn't he say they made some changes that worked well for P3, so went a bit further for quali, but must have gone too far?

Now the car is in Parc Ferme, they can't back those changes out. I think tomorrow might be a write off for him.