Examples of 'trial by television' in golf

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm putting together a wikipedia page on 'trial by television' incidents in golf tournaments. So far I have incidents for Stadler, Zinger, Villegas, Harrington, Woods, GMac, Sergio, Dyson, Stricker, Scott, Whiteford and Rahm for the men and Inkster, Sun-young, Lewis and Thompson for the ladies. Any suggestions for ones I might've missed? I'm including all incidents raised by TV viewers/emailers/tweeters etc, regardless of whether the player was penalised or not.

Any and all suggestions appreciated. :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just make sure that they are trial by television rather than televised rules issues! I'm trying to think of a Woods one of the top of my head.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks...I'm specifically looking at issues that were notified by viewers etc. :) The Tiger one I was thinking of was when he took an illegal drop after finding the water at the 15th at Augusta. This link has the full story.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-drop-masters-2013-inside-story

Thank you for the link; but I am well versed in exactly what happened and why. As concluded in that particular piece the player was actually saved from disqualification by the call, which was also the intention of the call in the first place but not in the way it played out!
It's for that reason I believe it to be a very bad example all round of the specific premise of trial by television

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Perhaps 'trial by television' is the wrong name to use. :) I'm including the Woods incident because it arose through a call from a TV viewer, even though it was really Woods' unwitting admission of guilt that eventually incriminated him. Being wikipedia, other users will be free to amend/remove this example if they want to!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was that aspect of wiki i was trying to help avoid - it will quickly become pretty messed up!

We will have to agree to disagree on whether the incident was a result of the call or not; in the context of the rule changes to remove trial by television it wasn't, and would still happen. If the committee had acted correctly Woods would have received no penalty at all, that they acted the way they did indemnified him from his own intentions but not the act. Most people still don't understand it :whoo:

U

User62651

Monty's ball in/out of bunker replacement shenanigans after storm delay in Indonesia - cant recall if that was raised by a tv viewer or another player though. TV was used though to demonstrate the..... ahem 'error of judgement' by Monty.

Last edited by a moderator:

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks but if that's the incident I'm thinking of, it was John Rahm who moved a plant and Lee Westwood merely got involved as his playing partner at Birkdale. There was no TV involvement though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I trust you realise that much (all?) of 'trial by television' has been removed by a 2018 Rules update.

And further 'simplification' is proposed for 2019.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks but if that's the incident I'm thinking of, it was John Rahm who moved a plant and Lee Westwood merely got involved as his playing partner at Birkdale. There was no TV involvement though.

No. Westwood was penalised for moving a growing 'thing'.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No. Westwood was penalised for moving a growing 'thing'.

Hmm ok but when I search for that, Google only shows results about Westwood getting involved in a John Rahm incident. Rahm moved what he thought was a loose twig but Westwood noticed it was a growing thing and told him he'd broken the rules. If you have a link to a different incident, that would be great. :)

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I trust you realise that much (all?) of 'trial by television' has been removed by a 2018 Rules update.

And further 'simplification' is proposed for 2019.

Yes, thanks - I've already mentioned 2 rule changes in the article that were designed to reduce the number of such incidents.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hmm ok but when I search for that, Google only shows results about Westwood getting involved in a John Rahm incident. Rahm moved what he thought was a loose twig but Westwood noticed it was a growing thing and told him he'd broken the rules. If you have a link to a different incident, that would be great. :)

No sorry I just know of the incident, he was under some trees at the time and he thought what he was moving was dead when it was something like ivy (from memory)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rory took relief off a spectator crossing a few years ago but his foot was still touching the line, so not full relief.

Think that was called in?

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
Just checked, Donald told him not a fan phone in. Sorry

Are you sure? Luke Donald was involved in the "sand on the fringe" incident a few months earlier. If Luke had been involved in both incidents then things might have got a bit tense!