Etiquette Question

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
On a course with adjacent fairways, in the event of sticking your drive on the fairway of the hole you are not actually playing, who has "right of way"?

I tend to keep out of the way if there are people playing that hole as in IMO I am encroaching on their fairway; A lot of people don't reciprocate however.

Am I following correct etiquette or is it a case of whoever gets to their ball first is free to play their shot?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you can get to your ball, play it and get the hell outta there before they get to their balls then I think that's fine. If you are going to hold them up then wait.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If there is anyone near then I wait, if the fairway is clear than I play. Annoys the hell out of me when someone just strolls out on to the hole that you are playing to hit a wayward ball without looking or any consideration. Even worse are those who walk down the full length of the fairway that you playing to reach their ball, holding everyone else up in the process.

TO me you walk down your faiway to the nearest point to your ball. Cross over to it when it is clear and safe to do so, play your shot quickly so as not to hold anyone up (do not worry about order of play so much) then get back onto the hole you are playing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If I've sprayed it onto an adjoining fairway (usually the 14th when I'm playing our 15th) I'd hope that the people coming down would let me get out of the way so I don't hold the group holing out behind and so the group I've interefered with (ooo matron) can carry on at a decent pace too.

If someone comes onto the hole I'm playing again. I usually let them get back into some kind of position on the right hole. If I'm really chopping it though they could become fair game for the low stinger!

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
If there is anyone near then I wait, if the fairway is clear than I play. Annoys the hell out of me when someone just strolls out on to the hole that you are playing to hit a wayward ball without looking or any consideration. Even worse are those who walk down the full length of the fairway that you playing to reach their ball, holding everyone else up in the process.

TO me you walk down your faiway to the nearest point to your ball. Cross over to it when it is clear and safe to do so, play your shot quickly so as not to hold anyone up (do not worry about order of play so much) then get back onto the hole you are playing.

have to agree

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have no problem with someone playing off my fairway, its those that just walk out of the trees without looking as you are about to Drive, then stand next to their ball waiting for their green to clear, if you mention their lack of etiquette to them they usual respond with whats the matter looking for someone to blame for your poor shot.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Common sense MUST prevail here, forget who's further on or who's fairway it's on, just play your ball without holding anyone up, getting in their way or endangering them- Nuff said. :cool: