Ernie Els - poor odds

B

birdieman

Looking at betting odds on William Hill and they're making Ernie Els favourite for both the Dunhill Links(9-1) and HSBC World Matchplay(4-1).
Where are these odds coming from, have I missed something or has Els had a blinding season in Japan or somewhere? I haven't heard of him winning anywhere this year.
4-1 isn't nearly tempting enough. Casey at 9-1 is more appealing.
Where will your hard earned be going?

On another note we have a lad of 5'4" with a particularly slow swing at our club. In a nod to the great EE this fellow has been renamed 'The Wee Easy'. Why can't I have a cool nickname like that??

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like that one, birdieman.

Els' odds are obviously based on how much money is ploughed onto him on a regular basis by the non-golfing public simply because he's a big name. The bookies are covering themselves. Nothing to do with his actual odds of winning.

The bonus for us is that we can get cracking odds on the guys who are on form and actually more likely to win.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just been looking at the odds for the Dunhill Links on Oddschecker, birdieman. You can get Els at 10-1, Westwood and Harrington at 14-1.

History suggest a GB & I winner. Harrington has won twice and does well every year. Westwood obviously on form and confident too and he won in 2003. Either of those have to be good for an each way, surely. I think Rose prefers his warm weather golf.

3 Scots have won before so howabout an each way on Marc Warren at 150-1. He has won recently. The clever money has to be a big each way on Harrington though.

Shooter_McGavin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Despite a poor season I think Ernie still has a lot of great golf left in him - he shot a 67 today to start the week well - Els at 10-1 was definitely worth a couple of quid John!