Eng v S.A. Test Series

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Cook and Ali batted 32 times between them for 2 hundreds and 12 fifties
Jennings, Westley, Malan, Ballance, Dawson batted 24 times and not a single innings of 50

It wasnt easy but not one of them made as high a score as Broad did! Not sure runs against the West Indies will tell too much apart from provide some short term confidence, hard to see any on that list getting hatfuls down under this winter thats for sure

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bit of a shame for guys like Westley and Malan. Unlikely to be dropped as they've hardly been given a chance, but they're in a bit of a catch-22 for the Windies series. If they make runs they'll be written off as "ah, but the West Indies are rubbish", and if they fail they're dropped anyway, they literally can't win. It's the Ravi Bopara effect.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Cook and Ali batted 32 times between them for 2 hundreds and 12 fifties
Jennings, Westley, Malan, Ballance, Dawson batted 24 times and not a single innings of 50

It wasnt easy but not one of them made as high a score as Broad did! Not sure runs against the West Indies will tell too much apart from provide some short term confidence, hard to see any on that list getting hatfuls down under this winter thats for sure
Westley got a 50, but take your point. Not an easy attack, or pitches to start you career on though. Runs against the Windies will get players on a tour to Australia. With the lack of decent batsmen coming through, runs against Windies could keep you in for years.;)

Visit site
Westley got a 50, but take your point. Not an easy attack, or pitches to start you career on though. Runs against the Windies will get players on a tour to Australia. With the lack of decent batsmen coming through, runs against Windies could keep you in for years.;)

Westley and malan should get more game time. Malan has only had 4 innings, and got a couple of jaffas so cant take too much from that. Westley looks like he could work at 3 and without any other serious contenders will go to aus if he gets any sort of score vs WI.

I would swop stoneman for jennings and leave the rest as is for the next test, with an eye on woakes coming back in once he gets a bit more match time after injury.

In an ideal world my team for first aus test would be thus:

Cook
Stoneman
Westley
Root
Malan / Hales /Boycotts mum
Stokes
Bairstow
Ali
Woakes
Broad
Jimmy

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think they fancy TRJ to do a similar job Chris Tremlett did a few years back. He had a good series against the Aussies in Oz and they rated him highly. Warne wasn't surprised as he had played with him at Hampshire, but he was tall strong and hit the deck hard.... With the kookaburra ball not swinging after 10 overs and Anderson and Broad buttoned on to do the new ball work Woaks may struggle, but then again, he can bat.... tough decisions....

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Westley and malan should get more game time. Malan has only had 4 innings, and got a couple of jaffas so cant take too much from that. Westley looks like he could work at 3 and without any other serious contenders will go to aus if he gets any sort of score vs WI.

Malan got 1 good ball. wafted outside the off stump on the second innings at OT and 2 Lbw's to the ball moving in which he cant play because he has poor technique. He isnt good enough. Im not a hales fan at all but he is better than Malan, bat him @ 5.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I think they fancy TRJ to do a similar job Chris Tremlett did a few years back. He had a good series against the Aussies in Oz and they rated him highly. Warne wasn't surprised as he had played with him at Hampshire, but he was tall strong and hit the deck hard.... With the kookaburra ball not swinging after 10 overs and Anderson and Broad buttoned on to do the new ball work Woaks may struggle, but then again, he can bat.... tough decisions....
i think TBJ is a typical Englsih seamer, that we used to bring in when playing at Headingley. I don't think he has the pace or bounce for Australia, and can't see him getting much movemnet with the kookaburra. I think Finn should go as he has height and can crank it up. Plunkett as well. Woakes was Englands best bowler in the previous year before he got injured, and will return when fit. He also is the best bat out of the bowlers, which would allow Stokes, Bairstow and Alli to move up a place.

Visit site
Malan got 1 good ball. wafted outside the off stump on the second innings at OT and 2 Lbw's to the ball moving in which he cant play because he has poor technique. He isnt good enough. Im not a hales fan at all but he is better than Malan, bat him @ 5.

Wouldnt object to hales, its not as though we have that many options tbf, which is why i'd give malam at least one more test.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Stoneman, Crane and Woakes in the squad for WI series, Jennings, Finn and Dawson miss out (cant have too many arguments!)

Not sure I see Crane ahead of Rashid and be amazed if they took him to Aus instead but stranger things have happened

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stoneman, Crane and Woakes in the squad for WI series, Jennings, Finn and Dawson miss out (cant have too many arguments!)

Not sure I see Crane ahead of Rashid and be amazed if they took him to Aus instead but stranger things have happened

Saw the Stneman and Woakes thing, but wouldn't have put Crane in. Does he offer more control than Rashid? I haven't seen enough of him to see... bet Rashid is gutted!

Edit***

Cranes played 5 Championship games, 180 overs taken 16 wickets at 40 + average... one 5 wicket haul.... :mmm:

Rashid, 6 games, 103 overs , 9 wickets at 50 odd...

Last edited:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Saw the Stneman and Woakes thing, but wouldn't have put Crane in. Does he offer more control than Rashid? I haven't seen enough of him to see... bet Rashid is gutted!

Edit***

Cranes played 5 Championship games, 180 overs taken 16 wickets at 40 + average... one 5 wicket haul.... :mmm:

Rashid, 6 games, 103 overs , 9 wickets at 50 odd...

Rashid's bowling in limited over cricket has been much improved. Seems to have got rid of the one or two long hops an over. Not seen him bowl in the championship, but imagine wickets have not been great for spin in the north ? Better in the south ?