Energy prices

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
My current deal ends in December but with no early release penalties and hearing about price rises in October due to price cap increases I spent this afternoon on Energy comparison websites. My current usage is costing me £110 per month, the cheapest deal I can find would cost me £150 a month fixed for two years. That's an increase of approx 36%. Does anyone know if the energy companies have jumped the gun so to speak and prices currently being quoted have already been increased or will there be a further increase come October.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I emailed my current provider nearly three weeks ago to suggest I am paying too much at £141 per month, as I am nearly £190 in credit. I pointed out that previous heavy electricity usage was due to heating a hot tub which I got rid of in the spring.

Not only have they not replied, or refunded the credit balance, despite two subsequent emails, they have sent a renewal notice saying my payments are increasing to £148 per month. This increase is based doubtless on the new tariffs, but also on usage estimates which I have told them are clearly incorrect. I decided to look elsewhere but, regrettably, my existing provider is still by some way the cheapest.

I don’t know what’s worse - the feeling I’m being ripped off, or their reluctance to communicate with me.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
i'm in the process of switching, but my current supplier, British Gas, have called me offering s "retention deal", something they only offer customers who intend to leave. It was essentially the same as my existing fixed rate, and way lower than anything they quoted on their website or on compare the market etc.

Bloody annoying tactic in my view. I am still leaving as my new supplier, Utility Warehouse, is offering other benefits (cheaper broadband and mobile as a total package).

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i'm in the process of switching, but my current supplier, British Gas, have called me offering s "retention deal", something they only offer customers who intend to leave. It was essentially the same as my existing fixed rate, and way lower than anything they quoted on their website or on compare the market etc.

Bloody annoying tactic in my view. I am still leaving as my new supplier, Utility Warehouse, is offering other benefits (cheaper broadband and mobile as a total package).

I did the same, they called me to ask why I was switching and I said that they needed to have their best offer on view and not kept in the back pocket.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I did the same, they called me to ask why I was switching and I said that they needed to have their best offer on view and not kept in the back pocket.

Slightly off topic, but I had the same issue when my car insurance fell due for renewal last month.

A change of vehicle mid-year had led to the Halifax increasing my premiums, but on renewal they were asking a ludicrous £660 annual premium. I went online with a comparison website and found dozens quoting around 50% of their figure. The cheapest? You guessed it. Halifax Insurance.

When I phoned to cancel the renewal offer even the woman at the other end was at a loss to explain how my renewal was double their online premium, and even went as far as saying even she wouldn’t have taken their offer on principle.

Disgraceful.