End to viewer call-ins

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The argument about not every group has a camera on them was the same argument used by Sepp Blatter for not using goal line technology. If it could not be used by everyone.............................

I think it is hugely naïve for people to believe that all golfers are honourable. They are clearly not. I don't mind the phone in, I'm in a minority I accept, as long as it is done by the close of play that day and no extra penalty is added, the penalty for signing a wrong score which would have been the right score had eagle eyed Nigel had not spotted an infringement. People will be saying this is great until the next Lexi moment when someone wins despite a pretty significant rule bend at which point golf will go into a meltdown of outrage.

Surely Blatter's argument was that they wouldnt use it as it couldnt be rolled out at all levels. Golf is different in that not even the whole tournament is covered, which would be like using goal line tech at one end but not at the other.

Anyhow, Blatter was speaking out of his derriere as has been the case for many an occasion. Cricket uses technology at the highest level but not at certain levels of domestic cricket and gets on fine. But at least everyone in the same contest gets the same, which isnt the case in golf.

Viewer phone ins are also massively open to bias. What if the viewer wants a particular player to win? Or, more pertinently has a bet on a certain player to win which would influence their decision on whether to phone in or not?

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
While I understand that point of view, what in effect you are saying is that because it's not possible to catch EVERY instance of cheating, we shouldn't bother to act on those we DO notice. To me that just seems like a cop-out.

Nope what I am saying is we should be making an effort to catch all cheats equally not focus on those shown on TV the most, now doing that only is a cop out wouldn't you say.

Instead of these half arsed and poorly thought out solutions, like viewers ringing in IF we feel there is an issue with cheating in our game at the top level, then lets deal with it correctly and fairly across the board not by letting some weirdo sat in his Y-Fronts holding a magnifying glass to his tv and giggling in glee at so called misdemeanour being allowed to ring in.

Let's be honest it's not like we are struggling for ways to monitor these sort of issues is it. You could even have a review body to review all suspect footage after the game until say midnight or have more referees per group and so on.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I like the idea of a cool off period whereby any possible infractions have until the midnight of that days round to be reported and dealt with and any penalties imposed and then start afresh the next day. However I still think it will encourage people to raise possible infringements via Sky or the broadcaster and so the top players will be under increased scrutiny. It still isn't a level playing field though. Surely it has to be one rule for all

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nope what I am saying is we should be making an effort to catch all cheats equally not focus on those shown on TV the most, now doing that only is a cop out wouldn't you say.

Instead of these half arsed and poorly thought out solutions, like viewers ringing in IF we feel there is an issue with cheating in our game at the top level, then lets deal with it correctly and fairly across the board not by letting some weirdo sat in his Y-Fronts holding a magnifying glass to his tv and giggling in glee at so called misdemeanour being allowed to ring in.

Let's be honest it's not like we are struggling for ways to monitor these sort of issues is it. You could even have a review body to review all suspect footage after the game until say midnight or have more referees per group and so on.

This really isn't about 'cheating' at all.

I am only aware of 1 instance over all the instances of armchair pundits that had even the merest whiff of a possibility of the player concerned knowing they had breached the rules to their advantage.

Rules officials aren't sent out with players to actively watch for rules breaches; that's not how golf operates.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
This really isn't about 'cheating' at all.

I am only aware of 1 instance over all the instances of armchair pundits that had even the merest whiff of a possibility of the player concerned knowing they had breached the rules to their advantage.

Rules officials aren't sent out with players to actively watch for rules breaches; that's not how golf operates.

But it's how the phone in works, the last one was all about her cheating, not cheating, must have known, was an accident did it deliberately and so on. Now if we were actively accepting this and we were, then the rules officials needed to be keeping an eye out for this.

Do we really think the viewer rang in and said, Hi, i just noticed some one accidentally placing her ball in the wrong place, definitely an accident, don't think you need to do much about it, just wanted you to know about it tell her not to do it again!!!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
But it's how the phone in works, the last one was all about her cheating, not cheating, must have known, was an accident did it deliberately and so on. Now if we were actively accepting this and we were, then the rules officials needed to be keeping an eye out for this.

Do we really think the viewer rang in and said, Hi, i just noticed some one accidentally placing her ball in the wrong place, definitely an accident, don't think you need to do much about it, just wanted you to know about it tell her not to do it again!!!

That was the one incident I referenced above - and the player was exonerated from the suggestion that it was deliberate; the end (from the rules and tours perspective).

Can't think of another - can you?

Rules officials accompanying group's are definitively not tasked with actively looking at every action and activity of each player for a possible breach of the rules - That's not how the rules work.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
nail on head duncan.

the refs are there to assit in rulings. they are not there to spot and call infringements like in most other sports.