End to viewer call-ins

D

Deleted member 15344

A reaction from someone who was caught breaking the rules - Thompson clearly broke the rules ad would have got away with it if a viewer hadnt seen it - would that have been fair if she had won knowing she broke the rules ?

Have no problem with people phoning in and then a rules ref judging but there needed to be a time limit that it has to be sorted that day

D

Deleted member 18588

About time!

How could it be fair if only some players in a tournament were subject to that level of scrutiny.

It's not just the leaders but all others as there's prize money and, therefore, playing status involved.

Also, for all its merits, television remains a two-dimensional medium and is well short of being 100% accurate.

The responsibility for the rules being adhered should continue to lie with the players and not the spectator (via television).

D

Deleted member 16999

Ridiculous situation that should never have been allowed, as mm alluded to, unless every player in the tournament was given the same coverage then it’s completely unfair.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it can only be judged on an incident by incident basis.

The Lexi one to me, looked like a clear rule breach that she should have been aware of. I don't have a problem with the two shot penalty, I think the penalty for signing an incorrect card was excessive though.

Other incidents though, where for example the player might not be aware what has happened, I don't think should be subject to punishment.

The rules of the game have to work on a self assessment basis otherwise they do not work at all. But, that self assessment must include players calling a penalty on themselves when they are aware of, or should be aware of an infringement, I don't have an issue with TV cameras resolving incidents where a player has done something that they should be aware of.

EDIT: Reading the article properly, they've done away with the penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard, penalties for breaking the rules that are identified via TV coverage appear to still be in play. I think this is exactly right.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18588

I think it can only be judged on an incident by incident basis.

The Lexi one to me, looked like a clear rule breach that she should have been aware of. I don't have a problem with the two shot penalty, I think the penalty for signing an incorrect card was excessive though.

Other incidents though, where for example the player might not be aware what has happened, I don't think should be subject to punishment.

The rules of the game have to work on a self assessment basis otherwise they do not work at all. But, that self assessment must include players calling a penalty on themselves when they are aware of, or should be aware of an infringement, I don't have an issue with TV cameras resolving incidents where a player has done something that they should be aware of.

EDIT: Reading the article properly, they've done away with the penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard, penalties for breaking the rules that are identified via TV coverage appear to still be in play. I think this is exactly right.

But only if reported by an on site Rules Official. Calls from TV viewing public will not be acted upon.

The incidents to which you refer were breaches but how are any of us to know if there are other cases not "caught " by the camera..

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
When you think about it with the amount of money at stake I'm surprised they don't have a rules official per group scrutinizing every single shot each player makes. At least it would be consistent.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Should never of been allowed in the first place. Glad common sense has prevailed and it's been dropped.

D

Deleted member 16999

When you think about it with the amount of money at stake I'm surprised they don't have a rules official per group scrutinizing every single shot each player makes. At least it would be consistent.
How much time would that take, ie, 3 Ball tee off, one left in rough, one right in trees, one on fairway, possibly 100yds between shots, players then waiting to take their shot until official arrives, what if one player infringes while official is across the fairway in the trees etc etc.
Seems overkill and we now start questioning the integrity of 99% of the field.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
A reaction from someone who was caught breaking the rules - Thompson clearly broke the rules ad would have got away with it if a viewer hadnt seen it - would that have been fair if she had won knowing she broke the rules ?

Have no problem with people phoning in and then a rules ref judging but there needed to be a time limit that it has to be sorted that day

I agree totally, needs rolling out to all sports, as long as I call in about that incorrect penalty given before the end of the game we can get reversed. Cricket it will definitely work as test matches last all day, bound to allow call in's. Tennis should be fine.

You know what this could really work well, I think you must be a Liverpool supporter :D

D

Deleted member 21258

I think this is a bad move, if people cheat then to much is at stake(money, points/ trophies). Think lexi would have won, which imho would bring a lot more bad publicity than just trying to ignore it.....on the other side the Garcia situation at the masters was a bit silly.

Removing end of viewer call in, will bring much worse publicity.

What needs to happen is that the rules/penalty needs to visited to remove the silliness of some(like the Garcia situation), not the other way round. Back to front way of solving the problems of call ins.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't think of any other sport where this occurs. Yes, that means some decisions are called wrong at times but that is sport for you. As a player and spectator you have to suck it up and move on.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can't think of any other sport where this occurs. Yes, that means some decisions are called wrong at times but that is sport for you. As a player and spectator you have to suck it up and move on.

Can you put this in the Footy thread please?👍😂

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great decision and overdue. I still want to know how they knew what number to call. I can't think of another sport where a viewer can have a direct affect on a televised sporting event and it was a slippery slope once the first penalty was imposed

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If anything it should not have been allowed as not every shot is televised, therefore some players would naturally be at an advantage / disadvantage.