Driving range drills.

Lummy86

Visit site
Do any of use guys/gals go to the driving range with drills thoughts and scenarios or do use just hit balls as far as use can?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I mainly concentrate on my swing, but will do some short distance judgement practice.
I'm never interested in seeing how far I can hit the ball. I leave that to the others there.;)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Am the same I would rather try different shots and more target practice
TBH I hate going to a range, and only normally have a small bucket as I find the range can be too easy a place to reinforce the wrong swing/action.
Going to the range once or twice a week though can make the difference between a handicap stalling or slowly rising and a handicap holding steady or slowly falling when you can only play Saturdays and or Sundays:)

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Can recommend The Practice Manual by Adam Young. As with many golf books, lots of waffle but if you can get through that there's some great advice on how to practice.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I would never hit a ball without a specific goal or target in mind. This means if I'm doing a drill I will be doing that in slow motion once or twice before every ball. If it's the middle of the season I tend to become more target oriented and will always have a target so will be quite meticulous about line up etc

dronfield

Visit site
I do try and work on areas i have struggled with but, temptation is to hit shots that i am generally ok at.
Whilst i should concentrate on short game improvement, it feels strange to hit loads of 30 yard shots when you have 250 yards in front of you!

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Do any of use guys/gals go to the driving range with drills thoughts and scenarios or do use just hit balls as far as use can?

Depends some r happy with repetitive practice, I get bored so need to switch it out at times.

Practice your routine and alignment through setting up each time

Swap targets and clubs often

Play a course I know in my head

See an imaginary fairway and try and hit beyond a certain distance on fairwah

Curve it round or over / under posts or obstacles

Score yourself vs yourself through games

Warm up and cool down through the bag

Daveg99

Visit site
I usually have 90 balls and go from PW all the way through my bag. Not changing club until I’ve hit 5 in a row I’m happy with. Then if there’s any left over, a bit of target practice with my Vokeys

Chico84

Visit site
I use the range to practise what I’ve been learning in my lessons, which usually means I’ll have one or two specific things to work on.

I warm up before I get there with stretches and then work up from PW every other club to driver with about five shots plus practise swings (part of my routine).

At the moment I’m focusing on my driver as I have a wicked slice with it that needs a fair bit of work. I go through the drills and swing thoughts I’ve learned in my lessons.

I usually finish up with a virtual game on the top tracer to add a bit of variety and work on my short game. As a result of this my pitching and chipping has improved loads. In an average session I’ll hit between 80-120 balls.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I start the week working on my technique and then move to short game towards the end followed by shots to different targets through my bag the day before my game.

I hit the range the morning of just to get moving and finish with chips and playing the first hole in my head.

I need to get more putting practice in but I just don’t focus enough when I do.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Top tracers help these days and they are becoming increasingly popular.
Personally:
Start with 54 deg wedge 1/4, 1/2 and full swings at different targets. (occasionally use 60 as well}
Then move up the bag, picking different targets, different alignment targets, finishing with driver where I pick two parts of the range that I have to hit in between (mimicking a fairway).

I quite like the range. I know the guys in the shop and they are always helpful and good to talk to about golf. Gets me out the house after a pants day at work....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Depends on what I'm working on. If its a swing change then I'll work on the drills I've been given. If not then my general purpose is to work on tempo (a big issue for me) and make sure the basics are in place, posture being another that slips easily. I like using Toptracer to hit to specific targets and get a degree of feedback.

Not how I practice but maybe a few ideas here

Fabia999

Visit site
All about distance control. Ill pick a flag and I won't move on until I've hit a small green sized area around the flag.

I also 'play' some holes I struggle with at my course. e.g hit a driver and take off the yardage until I'm on the green. It'll never be the same as actually playing but I find it useful.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
I mainly work on drills. I tend to spend a lot of time on trackman during the winter. Playing courses and target practise. Range I use to work on what I am currently doing with my lessons.

Visit site
Top tracers help these days and they are becoming increasingly popular.
Personally:
Start with 54 deg wedge 1/4, 1/2 and full swings at different targets. (occasionally use 60 as well}
Then move up the bag, picking different targets, different alignment targets, finishing with driver where I pick two parts of the range that I have to hit in between (mimicking a fairway).

I quite like the range. I know the guys in the shop and they are always helpful and good to talk to about golf. Gets me out the house after a pants day at work....

I'd love to have a go at one of these TopTracer range thingies, but the nearest one is up a motorway an hour from me. There are none south of the M25 until you get down to Portsmouth and that would be a 1:45 drive. I've been having lessons and the pro got his portable tracking thingy out to fit me a new set of irons and it was really interesting. The whole virtual game stuff would make practice more fun and focused.

jamiet7682

Visit site
I went to the range on Saturday and played 18 holes at Spanish Bay on the top tracer, was really good to mix up the range session and get away from just blasting balls aimlessly. Shot 7 over par which i was delighted with but most importantly really feel that i am hitting my irons cleanly for the first time, even had the 5 iron out and was carrying 170yds rolling out beyond 200 yards. I dont even hit my driver that far.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd love to have a go at one of these TopTracer range thingies, but the nearest one is up a motorway an hour from me. There are none south of the M25 until you get down to Portsmouth and that would be a 1:45 drive. I've been having lessons and the pro got his portable tracking thingy out to fit me a new set of irons and it was really interesting. The whole virtual game stuff would make practice more fun and focused.

Rustington Golf Centre and Tilgate Forest in Sussex have them https://www.toptracer.com/locations/

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

3 closest ranges to me all have them. High Legh Park (its free), Tru fit in Warrington/Widness, (they charge you per hour and there are bays without them if you don't want to use one) and Liverpool Netherley (not sure if they charge as haven't been for years).
I use Tru fit and don't mind paying a few quid extra. To be fair, they have had special offers on throughout the winter, so its been ok.