Driving meltdown

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
had a lesson about 6 weeks ago and it improved my driving no end. Pro changed the angle of attack as I was coming down too steep.

Straight away, started hitting it straighter, and a good 20-30 yards further than I was previously.

Anyway, playing Tuesday, out of the blue, duffed one on our 14th so badly I nearly missed the ball. Couldn't believe it as haven't done than for about 2 years, when I had just taken up the game. Rest of the round was incident free.

Next day, did almost the same on the same hole, hooked it really badly, went about 60 yards at most.

Went to the driving range Thursday, driving was fine.

Played yesterday, started ok, then duffed one on the 5th. Same on the 6th. Went OOB so hit 3 wood off the tee and that was fine. On the 7th, totally duffed the 3 wood off the tee .... was tearing my hair out by this point. Said to my PPs I was going to pack in if it happened again. Was ok on the 8th and 9th. Then on the 10th, duffed it again ....

Made my apologies and walked in as it was completely doing my head in.

Playing again tomorrow, and all I can think about is same thing will happen again. Have no idea why my driving has gone from the best it has ever been to the worst it has ever been in the space of a week. Stupid game.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you are catching the ground before the ball, I would suggest you are swaying onto your back foot and staying there.

Try this drill....

Stand in front of a mirror/window/patio door where you can see your reflection.

Take your normal address position and note where your head is. Then make your backswing and stop at the top. Then check your head position again and see if it has moved. If it has, that's your problem.
The same can be done in the garden with the sun behind you, just watch your shadow.

The guy below is a good example

[video=youtube;fxFRXilzmAw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxFRXilzmAw[/video]

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks Bob. Had a session up at the range, really focused on keeping the head still and it did seem to make a difference. Let's hope it works on the course tomorrow!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks Bob. Had a session up at the range, really focused on keeping the head still and it did seem to make a difference. Let's hope it works on the course tomorrow!

If you are able to film yourself hitting balls that would help to know if in fact your head is still on the backswing. Real and feel.

Good luck tomorrow

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played today, driving worse than ever - duffed it off the tee 7 times. Switched to hitting 3 wood, first one a beauty, then duffed the next one. Ended up just hitting the hybrid off the deck on the tee just to get round.

Laughable thing is I still scored 28 points despite the 7 duffs. The rest of my game was terrific, in marked contrast to the dreadful driving. back to the range tomorrow ...

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
. Have no idea why my driving has gone from the best it has ever been to the worst it has ever been in the space of a week. Stupid game.

I feel your pain, my tee shot's have been very poor all year, a mix of huge high slices and low hooks peppered with the occasional one down the middle. I'm on my 5th driver of the season :confused:I know fine well that it's my swing and not the club that's at fault but just need a big confidence boost at the moment, handicap has gone from 11.0 to 12.5 this season so far !!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I feel your pain, my tee shot's have been very poor all year, a mix of huge high slices Swing path out to in, face open

and low hooks Swing path out to in, face closed

peppered with the occasional one down the middle. Swing path and face balanced

Check grip and fix swing path

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Unless you know what the problem is and how to fix it, you're wasting you time. In fact you may make it worse

One of my PPs said on the 18th (after another duffed drive) that he thought I was turning my whole body when following through instead of keeping my core stable. I think I know what he means so will try to focus on that when I go to the range.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Made my apologies and walked in as it was completely doing my head in.

Personally never understood those who walk in. I get that you aren't enjoying it, but you aren't going to get any better sitting in the clubhouse. Also that it is hugely unsatisfying to play poor golf shots, especially ones you have previously played well.

If you are embarrassed at your performance, then I can guarantee your playing partners care a lot less than you do. Or else you really should walk in.

Stay out and keep grinding. Take irons off the tee and just use it as a practice round for other aspects of your game.

Different sport, but I remember hearing Brian O'Driscoll being interviewed after a return to form. He said one of the best bits of advice he was ever given was to practice the things you are good at. We have a tenancy to think we do a particular aspect well, so spend time on other areas that we struggle with. But this tends to make practice even more of a grind and less enjoyable - as well as being complacent about your perceived strengths.

Psychologically you have probably had some decent days with the driver and thought, that's fine, I don't need to worry about that when in reality you should still be thinking about what you are doing on the good days and trying to keep that going.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just been to the range, 50 balls, 40+ drives, didn't duff a single one! Planning on a quick 9 holes tomorrow afternoon, will be interesting to see the results.