Driving me crazy!!!

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I've been suffering with the slice off the tee with my driver recently. Not sure if it's a slice or a straight forward push as both occurring.

I've just studied Bob's video on the headcover drill and noticed something I obviously don't do.(lovely swing by the way Bob!)

On my backswing I tend to keep my right upper arm and elbow tight in to my side in an attempt to help promote a shoulder turn. I am now thinking that this is compacting my swing which is surely resulting in short drives as it would appear that I'm whipping the club inside very quickly.
I also find it difficult to keep a straight left wrist, more often cupping the hand upwards.
I also noticed that Bob swings the driver on a much steeper plane than I do. - I have been told to take it back "low and slow" Maybe I am taking the club back too low!

Sorry, I don't have any video of my swing but would appreciate any comments and advice which may help me produce longer and straighter drives, although at the moment straighter drives would be a big help.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldn't copy too much of my swing.
It has it's faults but it isn't bad at impact.
I would ask if your driver grip is the same as the rest of your set?
I assume it's just the driver you're having problems with?

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Haven't been to the driving range in a while. Do you think it would help?
Wondering if I could do with a lesson to put me back on track before smacking a load of balls down the range and further ingraining a bad swing.

The driver grip is very similar to the rest of my clubs Bob.

Planning on going back to the course this evening for a few holes and try a few things I've thought of.
I'll try a steeper swing plane to my normal very low swing. Keep the swing relatively short, wrist flat and good follow through.

Any snippets of info would be most welcome guys.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
What you do on the backswing wont help much at impact. Just try and feel the club coming down from the inside more. That will help reduce the amount of left to right spin

PuttForDough

Visit site
Going back too much on the inside can ironically cause an outside to inside swing path or/and cause push shots.
It sounds like this could be the cause.
Instead, to promote shoulder turn, "push" your left shoulder under your chin on the back swing to push your arms initially straight and low back.
Watch some of the slow motion YouTube videos of Rory McIlroy!