Driving iron /hybrid iron

walliams8

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking at buying a taylormade UDI .

I only go as low as a 4 iron in my bag. I have tried hybrids but they are really not for me . I have never been a fan of hitting woods/hybrids off the deck .
Looking for something that I can use off the tee on the shorter holes and something that will give me an advantage on reaching par 5s . My irons are strong in my game at the moment . I find myself hitting 4 iron off par 4s and getting it a reasonable way down there . Problem is a couple of holes play straight into wind, driver is tight at the landing points and I hit my irons high so my 4 really floats into wind and can leave me a decent distance in. Just want something a bit further off the tee with a similar look/feel to a 4 iron.

I know they do a 1, 2 and 3 iron, going to try them out this week.
Anyone got one in the bag or something similar?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Taken 1 2 & 3 irons out of the bag!

Seriously, if you can't get on with hybrids I can't see a 1 iron proving to be a solution to anything.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Adams dhy

Superb club

Unbelievably easy to hit and blinking long also.

Was putting my 3h in places that were similar to winter time drives last week.

I know the weather is much hotter but they go like stink.

I've only played 3 rounds with mine but am very impressed.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a TM Rsi udi tp 3 in the bag as my rsi2 stop at 4iron it's a nice club!

Not the easiest thinks to find either good luck finding a 1,2 & 3 to try.

walliams8

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I struggle with hybrids as I have always hated hitting woods or anything similar from tight fairway lies .

The whole idea behind it was to get an iron , that is actually an iron , not a hybrid ....

walliams8

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a TM Rsi udi tp 3 in the bag as my rsi2 stop at 4iron it's a nice club!

Not the easiest thinks to find either good luck finding a 1,2 & 3 to try.

Cheers ..... A 3 or 2 is more likely my choice as more likely to get used . Do you get much out of the 3 than you do your 4?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Titleist 712u, ping rapture iron or any of the many Mizuno driving irons.

I had a Mizuno one years ago but sold it as it was too much club for me at the time. really do fancy giving another one a go.

The ping rapture sits so nice behind the ball. Went well too when I tried it.

steadyeddy

Medal Winner
Visit site
I struggle with hybrids too, have tried tailor-made 5 hybrid & 2 hybrids but very hit & miss.
Bought the ping rapture 2 iron last year & have never looked back.
Great off the tee & fairway.
I struggle with hybrids as I have always hated hitting woods or anything similar from tight fairway lies .

The whole idea behind it was to get an iron , that is actually an iron , not a hybrid ....

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I have a similar interest, really don't like hybrids. Has anyone hit the titleist 712u?

I tried the 712U at the Titleist day at Silvermere a few months back and its stupidly easy to hit off the tee and the deck.

I am seriously thinking of picking one up but the only thing is that being a cack hander they are hard to find in decent used condition - I cant justify blowing £150+ on one club when I only play once a month on average.

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Get a set of irons with a 3I, surely? I knew a guy who used a 2-iron for the same reason and he was deadly off the tee.

Bazep

Club Champion
Visit site
I tried the 712U at the Titleist day at Silvermere a few months back and its stupidly easy to hit off the tee and the deck.

I am seriously thinking of picking one up but the only thing is that being a cack hander they are hard to find in decent used condition - I cant justify blowing £150+ on one club when I only play once a month on average.

cheers Dando,
Might have to put it on my list. There never seems to be a titleist fitting round these parts to thr one out.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Funnily enough I demoed one the other day and ordered one soon after. Surprisingly easy to get flighted and went pretty far.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

How much was your Scotty Cameron Del Mar? :smirk:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did have the MIZUNO MP-H4 2 & 3 irons in my bag, before going back to traditional long irons. Really easy to hit from all lies, tee, fairway or light rough. I even liked using the 3i from the fringe around the greens.

Like you I do not like these hybrid rescue clubs. But these utility clubs like the the MP-H4, UDi, 714u, Rapture are fantastic clubs.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a mizuno mph4 3iron. Had the 2 iron too but sold it because I felt I didn't need both the 2 and the 3.

Belter of a club.

I have no issue with hybrids, and carry a 2hybrid in preference to a 5w, but the 3i serves a different purpose for me. It's a club I pull when I must hit fw on a tight hole.