Driving distances and the reality

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The closest figure to me in the chart in the video is age 35, handicap 10, 230 yard average. That seems short to me, since my handicap is 5 higher than that, but I consider my average around 235. And that's not an inflated average for me as I know on a good strike I can get 250. But I suppose if the average includes people who are very short off the tee but have a savage short game, then it makes sense I guess.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Almost impossible to calculate real average distances at my place..
Some holes youre hitting up and over a hill onto a down slope that can take your ball 30 yards further, others youre pitching onto an upslope so you get robbed of yardage.
A good driver for me, on my ourself, can be anywhere between 220 and 280 yards depending on the slope..
And, anyway, the total distance, whilst not irrelevant, isn't that useful if you don't know what your carry is and these devices can't give you that.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The closest figure to me in the chart in the video is age 35, handicap 10, 230 yard average. That seems short to me, since my handicap is 5 higher than that, but I consider my average around 235. And that's not an inflated average for me as I know I good strike I can get 250. But I suppose if the average includes people who are very short off the tee but have a savage short game, so it makes sense I guess.
Completely agree. There is little point to comparing your driving distance to someone 60+ with a low handicap and a short game as you so perfectly describe ;)
I think you might outdrive me just >50% of the time. But what does that matter? Not much, is what I get from this. I might be straighter far more often. :unsure:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Completely agree. There is little point to comparing your driving distance to someone 60+ with a low handicap and a short game as you so perfectly describe ;)
I think you might outdrive me just >50% of the time. But what does that matter? Not much, is what I get from this. I might be straighter far more often. :unsure:
Yeah, of course, handicap is all about consistency rather than distance at the end of the day. I can probably hit all of the shots that would get me to 5 handicap, but I can't hit them all on the same day unfortunately. :ROFLMAO:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Yeah, of course, handicap is all about consistency rather than distance at the end of the day. I can probably hit all of the shots that would get me to 5 handicap, but I can't hit them all on the same day unfortunately. :ROFLMAO:
Ah, you play golf a bit like how Eric Morecambe played the piano, then?