Driver

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi

Anyone know the benefits of a 12/13 degree driver over a standard 10.5’ degree driver or weaknesses

C

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. If you haven't got a fast swing, more loft means more carry so you may actually hit it further.
2. More loft means less slice, if you're someone who slices drives often.

I played a 12° for a long time, currently have my Ping set to 11° but it has a high launch anyway so feels the same as the old 12 ones. For me as per point one, my swing isn't the fastest so I prefer to have the extra carry. It's also a little more forgiving if you hit a thin one low on the face, gets you a bit more spin to get the ball up then and travel further.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
No such thing as benefits or weaknesses of particular lofts - except when considered against a particular swing, launch conditions, clubhead, shafts and ball.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For slower swing speeds I guess it gets a higher launch angle!

This is n't a trick question is it?

No just me being curious as I have have a callaway XR heavenwood which is a 7 wood with a 3 wood length shaft I think

Was wandering if anyone had one or experience of one?

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Just thinking it's not just about swing speed - it depends also if you hit up or down on the ball.

Personally I hit 5 degrees up so my driver only has 8 degrees of loft.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi

Anyone know the benefits of a 12/13 degree driver over a standard 10.5’ degree driver or weaknesses

C

Generally speaking, when you hit a club with more loft, it should mean less side spin. Hence why it is much easier to hit a wedge straight than a long iron or wood and of course why some people are forever slicing their driver, but don't have that problem with other clubs.

Downside is that you are probably not going to get more distance, unless perhaps you really struggle to get the ball in the air.

Horses for courses. My preference would be to learn to hit a 10.5 degree driver, rather than effectively use a souped up 3 wood. But if you just want a quiet life, then the higher loft driver may be suitable.

Robin Hood

Visit site
I started playing with a Cleveland 10.5 and now use a Ping 12 degree.
I have not noticed any difference in length or flight.
The difference is in me - being a little older and with less flexibility than 10 years ago, I swing slower and definitely get fewer slices.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Generally speaking, when you hit a club with more loft, it should mean less side spin. Hence why it is much easier to hit a wedge straight than a long iron or wood and of course why some people are forever slicing their driver, but don't have that problem with other clubs.

Downside is that you are probably not going to get more distance, unless perhaps you really struggle to get the ball in the air.

Horses for courses. My preference would be to learn to hit a 10.5 degree driver, rather than effectively use a souped up 3 wood. But if you just want a quiet life, then the higher loft driver may be suitable.

Thanks - makes sense

I have a young family so do not have time to practice much and enjoy a social round when I can (maybe every other week).

My miss with the driver is a bad slice. Good shot is straight or slight draw.

Carry with current driver (10.5 degree) I reckon 200-210 and roll to 230-250 generally.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play a Ping G20, 12 degree with stiff shaft. I can slice it like the best of them given the chance, but prefer not to:)
I found that combination gave me best flight and distance over 10.5 in any combo:)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Generally speaking, when you hit a club with more loft, it should mean less side spin...

need all the steps...

generally

more loft means more spin in the vertical axis

a ball can only spin in one axis (at a time)

any horizontal axis spin will therefore be diluted in effect

It follows that if you hit a more lofted driver that's designed to deliver less spin this effect may be negated. As with pretty much every dynamic function from head and shaft.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
need all the steps...

generally

more loft means more spin in the vertical axis

a ball can only spin in one axis (at a time)

any horizontal axis spin will therefore be diluted in effect

It follows that if you hit a more lofted driver that's designed to deliver less spin this effect may be negated. As with pretty much every dynamic function from head and shaft.
Whle the gist of what you've posted is correct, the bold bit is rather confusing/badly explained/worded/WRONG!

A Golf Ball's Axis of rotation is an imaginary line around which the ball rotates, so is 90* from the actual spinning - just as the Earth spins West to East, The Axis of Rotation is North/South!

I agree that, for a spinning golf ball, there can only be 1 real axis of spin, but for analysis it's broken down into 'components'. These components are 'named' 'backspinl' and 'sidespin', which also has a direction componnt ('left' or 'right'). The 'vertical axis' you mention equates to the Backspin component - the axis of which is actually horizontal! Likewise, the 'horizontal' axis you mention equates to rhe Sidespin component, whose axis is vertical!

If you were to actually watch a slow-mo video of a golf ball in flight, the axis would (or at least, should!) be much closer to horizintal than vertical. The ball would move (left or right) in the direction where the spin axis is lower (closer to the ground).

The amount of fade/slice/draw/hook is dependent on the ratio of the sidespin component to the vertical component (the angle of the axis of rotation). As a higher loft driver creates more backspin but only 'the same' sidespin (given otherwise identical impact attributes) that ratio (axis angle) will be less, so fader/slice/draw/hook will be less.

Hope that helps!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whle the gist of what you've posted is correct, the bold bit is rather confusing/badly explained/worded/WRONG!

A Golf Ball's Axis of rotation is an imaginary line around which the ball rotates, so is 90* from the actual spinning - just as the Earth spins West to East, The Axis of Rotation is North/South!

I agree that, for a spinning golf ball, there can only be 1 real axis of spin, but for analysis it's broken down into 'components'. These components are 'named' 'backspinl' and 'sidespin', which also has a direction componnt ('left' or 'right'). The 'vertical axis' you mention equates to the Backspin component - the axis of which is actually horizontal! Likewise, the 'horizontal' axis you mention equates to rhe Sidespin component, whose axis is vertical!

If you were to actually watch a slow-mo video of a golf ball in flight, the axis would (or at least, should!) be much closer to horizintal than vertical. The ball would move (left or right) in the direction where the spin axis is lower (closer to the ground).

The amount of fade/slice/draw/hook is dependent on the ratio of the sidespin component to the vertical component (the angle of the axis of rotation). As a higher loft driver creates more backspin but only 'the same' sidespin (given otherwise identical impact attributes) that ratio (axis angle) will be less, so fader/slice/draw/hook will be less.

Hope that helps!
Wheres Professor Brian Cox when you need him......oh yes being disproved;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Hope that helps!
Jeez how will I get that in my PSR.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks. Appreciate all the replies. Even if some of the science was a little wasted on me 😀

The idea that it may limit the damage on my bad shots does appeal

It also seems it would complement my. Heavenwood (21 degrees 7 wood with a longer 3 wood shaft length)

At my handicap I feel accuracy on the tee or long approach shots is more important than distance or even having distance gapping. I am simply not good enough to have control at 200 yards so ball in play and progress to the hole is good enough